Digger v telehandler

donnk

So, we were having a discussion about replacing a telehandler with a digger that has similar reach and lifting capacity. 6m min and a ton at full extension. Would need a tilt on it and pallet forks etc

i think it would be a more flexible tool than a straight telehandler. For example exact placement of pallet loads without shunting about.

help loading out block and beam , loading out scaff with blocks/bricks etc

unloading lorries. 

pro’s

multi use

faster work rate

cons

not as much reach

can’t use on road

slower loading - maybe

so my question (Eddie!) what would be the smallest footprint digger that could do this, what make / model . We will be replacing a telehandler next year but if I can sell the pro outweighing the cons It could work.

budget 25-30k + vat

You've covered most of the key points, I would say a digger could also damage the yards more and might be too high for sheds but will be more flexible with a grab and can reach up and over into trailers etc.

I would think you're looking at an 8ton digger with 4000+ hours on your budget. 13tonners are easier to find but might be too big.

16 minutes ago, gdh said:

You've covered most of the key points, I would say a digger could also damage the yards more and might be too high for sheds but will be more flexible with a grab and can reach up and over into trailers etc.

I would think you're looking at an 8ton digger with 4000+ hours on your budget. 13tonners are easier to find but might be too big.

8 ton is going to struggle with a ton at full reach. 10 ton plus to be the boss of it. Although flat yard swings in its favour. Also the pallet forks if facing out will shift the load further out then equivalent load in a bucket.

You know your yard so you know what will work- a telehandler will be quicker moving loads over any distance. Digger better if your sitting in one place and swinging loads say off a lorry and placing behind you etc.

I think you may find the digger a bit restricted if working in a tight area. Quite hard to get the pallet forks to work close into the machine due to the geometry of the bucket tilt.

this.

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/the-digger-blog/view/one-man-and-his-komatsu-rubber-duck

http://www.earthmoversmagazine.co.uk/english-owneroperator-swedish-approach/

Now to learn about rubber ducks, the wife things ive finally lost it after i mentioned im researching rubber ducks!

Edited by donnk

I should have mentioned it will he only used on building sites. Maybe with a crane boom attachment it would have the height to lift trusses on.

from my rudimentary research I think the English market is not going to have any so which euro country will be best ? Germany?

also I think will need to up the budget a bit.

4 minutes ago, donnk said:

I should have mentioned it will he only used on building sites. Maybe with a crane boom attachment it would have the height to lift trusses on.

from my rudimentary research I think the English market is not going to have any so which euro country will be best ? Germany?

also I think will need to up the budget a bit.

It’ll not need a crane boom on the average Rotating Telehandler and often they come with the additional crane winch and man basket.

Plenty in the UK

Eddie.