Chinese top handle saw

Koba

Bought the above about 1 year ago. Has been running fine until recently but now will not idle. Will not run unless throttled. Cleaned carb and fitted new fuel lines. Same result. Could it be an air leak. I noticed that there is no gasket between boot opening and carb. Thinking of using Hylomar in that area. Any thoughts guys?.

Not used mine for a while now but it has always just run. It doesn't stay in adjustment, needs tweaking now to keep it in tune. The boot is soft rubber on mine so serves as a gasket. It cuts out on the over run more than anything but will restart easily then and will tick over. Hylomar will not do any harm but I would clean the carb again and give it a good blow through then set it back up from scratch.

If it won't idle it probably has an issue on the low speed circuit of the carb. I would check the gauze strainer as it is the most common culprit on carb issues but generally effects the high speed running than low. It is worth removing the low screw and getting some carb cleaner down its hole but ensure you wind it in and note the number of turns otherwise you will have other issues!

Worth ensuring the piston is OK but most issues on kit are carb issues.

Just cos it’s cheap, don’t mean it’s a pos a yr down the road. It just needs some one who knows. How to fix it, even if it is a pos.

but I will say it’s mostly a bit of everything, inc the user leavin fuel in, an stuffs. 

Manafacture says service time, and that is why buying a parts saw teaches you how it all fits together, or not fits that well... so you know how to fix it.

carbs are almost everyone’s nightmare.

btw I could say the same about any tool and user,,,, workman blames his tools..

best of luck,?

I picked one of these up recently. It was a curiosity thing, 12 quid to have a look, so.....

Non runner reasonable compression, and spark. 2 out of the 3 chains had been used - the guy probably got his money out of it. 

In this case the problem was with the fuel line,  it was in two halves. Hose material was complete shite, utter, utter shite.

So it works, cuts wood ok - i guess.  Maybe i got lucky,  it was a simple fix for a few penny's. But then again maybe not, I don't think it will be long before the quality of some other bit causes bother...

41 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I thought you could just take them back to B+Q or whatever and get another from the warranty ?

I think standard procedure in those instances is to tell the customer they’ll send it back to the supplier, then wait 6 months in the hope that you’ll get pissed off and give up (or buy another)

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I think standard procedure in those instances is to tell the customer they’ll send it back to the supplier, then wait 6 months in the hope that you’ll get pissed off and give up (or buy another)

Big help brother. Just to let you know that I fitted a smaller diameter fuel line and the little thing is now running like a dream. The saw cost me £50 inc. p.&p. and has done about a grand's worth of work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1