Compact tractor choice

mitchel

Got a new Holland tce 45, mainly because it fits on a trailer so easy/cheap to take to jobs. Runs a 6’ flail, 8’ twin roller chipper and 250kg hammer post knocker fine. Bad sides are can’t really tow much with it and it needs weights on the front. I put a 7’ hydraulic link box on it and although it could lift it no problem you would only be able to drive in straight lines! Cheap as chips to run, easy to operate, not much soil compaction and good value compared to full size Tractor provided you stay within its working parameters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeeGray said:

Got a new Holland tce 45, mainly because it fits on a trailer so easy/cheap to take to jobs. Runs a 6’ flail, 8’ twin roller chipper and 250kg hammer post knocker fine. Bad sides are can’t really tow much with it and it needs weights on the front. I put a 7’ hydraulic link box on it and although it could lift it no problem you would only be able to drive in straight lines! Cheap as chips to run, easy to operate, not much soil compaction and good value compared to full size Tractor provided you stay within its working parameters.

Do you know if it would take a front loader and move log bags round?

You can stick a loader on most of them but tbh for the cost of a new loader and fitting you could just buy a forklift or old telehandler and they’ll lift two bags of 1t plus at a time. A little tractor would struggle with over 300kg without either killing it or you. 

I have a Kubota STV 40, 2009 model, with front loader. Excellent bit of kit. Runs a 5ft heavy duty flail now problem, can take underslung mower. Powers my Browns hydraulic splitter easily, runs the sawbench too. Being hydrostatic makes it easier overall, particularly for loader work. Also use to run 6 inch pto chipper with ease until bought a tracked chipper.

Have used a basic  rear 3 point mounted crane for dragging conifers to chipper on a big clearance job.

Easy to get to site on 12ft trailer behind Disco 2 TD5. Have used it with the front loader and rear transport box at same time to extract timber pieces from sites.

Agree with previous comment that towing much weight on the road is limited.

If I had to replace it I would want the same again.

Have a Branson 3510, not a kubota by any means but a solid reliable machine, front loader comfortably lifts a round hay bale.. even lifted two on it once but was a delicate balancing act!! 35hp, runs 5ft power harrow, harley rake, branch logger, 6inch chipper etc. tows an ifor williams full of logs no bother, brings 9 bales up hill a few times a year.. no hydrostatic on mine but the gears are alright, bit trickier for loader work i do admit, but once you're used to it its simple, shuttle makes it easier, no foostering for reverse! Grab makes it faster than a 360 digger for moving brash, amazing what they can actually move, especially if levelling ground on an undulating lawn etc..

They have improved design since i bought mine, but it was good value for money for occasional use.