Picus Testing Service - Nationwide

Steve Bullman

6 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

What was the result of the testing on this? Is doing the testing fairly simple once you have the kit?

I recommended a little out of the top. All the upright regrowth around the crown was forming a secondary crown with the center stem poking above it by around 4 meters. Bit of weight out to help reduce the chance of failure. Also some of the heave over extended laterals to have a slight weight reduction.

The testing is reasonably simple after you have got used to it. There are a lot of individual steps in the process, so long as they are all done properly everythings ok.

9 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I recommended a little out of the top. All the upright regrowth around the crown was forming a secondary crown with the center stem poking above it by around 4 meters. Bit of weight out to help reduce the chance of failure. Also some of the heave over extended laterals to have a slight weight reduction.

The testing is reasonably simple after you have got used to it. There are a lot of individual steps in the process, so long as they are all done properly everythings ok.

Thanks Steve. I plan to get some testing done with some of our veteran/notable trees on the estate I work on. Money permitting of course. But I believe it will help with any trees that might be on their downward spiral finding them before it is too late. 

3 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Thanks Steve. I plan to get some testing done with some of our veteran/notable trees on the estate I work on. Money permitting of course. But I believe it will help with any trees that might be on their downward spiral finding them before it is too late. 

What area? Get in touch if I can be of assistance 

• 1 month later...

Picus test in Straford St Mary for a Dedham Vale Tree Surgeon this week. Lovely Copper Beech tree in a very prominent position. Tree was deadwooded, very lightly pruned and then inspected. 2 pretty large cavities were of particular concern and I was able to poke a probe in one and out the other, so a picus test was carried out to assess the extent of the decay.

Turns out it was a lot better than expected but still in a pretty compromising position.

6BC617AA-C2F0-47E3-BCDA-1660BA477E15.jpeg

03941265-535B-45E6-BCA8-C9DE8665CB70.jpeg

85C9B35D-1F48-445D-A312-F11AC3198DAE.jpeg

5FAB206F-9114-4EE1-8580-C66490ECACD0.jpeg

7A2CEBF6-BF2D-4C95-B3E9-F12E1C6C74AD.jpeg

• Like 1

Picus test results

1983515892_ScreenShot2019-04-18at20_52_06.png.96870fb461783c69ed0a92a8fccc3c45.png

What age did you anticipate the tree to be Steve? And as for still being in a ‘compromising’ situation, what life expectancy do you give the tree according to your findings.
I find this technology quite fascinating and intriguing.