Timber Trailer and Crane Required

Kevin Matthews

Hi all dealers and manufacturers out there, Cardiff Council are looking to replace our Timber trailer and crane but we are having difficulty finding anything man enough for the job. Our existing machine was specially built to order for us many years ago.

We are looking for something similar to the attached photo, minimum 3 Tonne lifting capability with large timber grabs, 2 or three axle, approx 14 Tonne trailer capacity with closed sides. Any help would be very much appreciated

Kevin Matthews,

Arb Manager 1057115345_jamesrhsshowpics2013021.thumb.jpg.de78bccc046492c1781c8b1d88e5df78.jpg

Cardiff council.

Hi Kevin, I will help you by replying and getting your post back up in the 'today's posts' list. 

I also have a serious (and nosey) question, as an interested sawmill owner in your area.  Why do Cardiff Council require such a large capacity machine?  I understand the advantages of being able to pick up a large stem and hence the need for a large grab, but can't a large diameter tree be cross-cut to make it manageable?  And surely a smaller setup is much easier to maneuver? 

Also are you really saying you want a trailer capacity of 14 tons?  Giving a total trailer weight of around 22 tons and a train weight of maybe 30 tons???!!!

I know plenty of timber trailers with a capacity of 8 or 9 tons which are available off-the-shelf but the size you are specifying is likely to bump the price up from maybe £15,000 to nearer £80,000.

Hope you don't mind my observations.

Hi, sorry,  our existing trailer weighs 7.5 T unladen and can carry a maximum of 8 T so 15.5 T fully loaded, in reality we carry much less. The reason for the 3 T lifting capacity is we move some very large timber and normal grabs can't cope with the diameter, we need to remove fallen trees quickly from the carriageway during storm conditions and this peice of kit has proved invaluable over the years. We also occasionally mill our own timber with a lucas mill and it is obviously better to keep the timber in as long a peice as possible. Yes i do have to justify what i spend, but i also have to open blocked strategic routes and other roads as quickly as i can as part of our 24 hour stand by requirement to have all roads opened within a two hour time frame.

Thanks, Kevin.

If you are interested in looking at our timber for sale and are passing Cardiff you are more than welcome to have a look at our wood store.

I am up in tredegar and my guy jeff brings up a double trailer load for me and has a huge crane on it so i will ask him when i get my next lot of oak and ash in.Got some great oak off him last couple of weeks which  am sawing up at the moment if anyone is looking for some.

Edited by topchippyles