Over wintering chainsaws

Lazurus

being only a hobby user myself so I am lucky enough to have periods when my saws are not used. I had a few issues with fuel going stale even though I did drain all the saws as best I could. Took some turning over to flush through with fresh fuel and get them running again.

So can anyone offer advice to prevent this happening or similar issues in the future. Would running Aspen through them before storage negate the issues or is it just something I will have to overcome each spring?

Stuart

I run Aspen before storage, but some say you shouldn't mix as the rubber components get used to petrol - I don't think anyone really knows for sure. My thinking is the rubber hoses and carb parts are better now with moderner materials and should be ok with it. Old evaporated petrol deposits, "varnish" gum up carbs and filters probably.

The coating on the rubber is attacked by the solvents in pump fuel , ethanol etc etc . but the petrol itself keeps them supple until it finally  desvolves them over time . Aspen and other alkylate  fuels don't attack the rubber so if you use it from the get go , no problems .If you switch from pump fuel to alkylate there is a chance the rubber will harden and crack/crumble  but that would have to have had a lot of pump fuel through it .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

I just drain most of the fuel off, idle saw until it stalls, pull the starter a couple more times to be sure and put away. I'll also pull the starter cord every so often just to move the bits and pieces around over winter and stop things getting stuck in place. It's worked for me, so far!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Thanks guys, I have ordered some fuel fit and will run the saws with this before draining and storing, will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

No point in getting fuel fit if you are going to drain the saws ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Thanks guys, I have ordered some fuel fit and will run the saws with this before draining and storing, will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

No! Read what it says. I run with Fuel Fit in my cans 12 months of the year, towards the slow times I leave things to get low in the tanks and cans, but, I NEVER drain anything. Works for me.  Derek.