You are God for a Day

donnk

34 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Yes I understand that but it's not likely to destroy the planet compared to other natural disasters. 

It just makes me laugh when I read that mankind should be wiped out to help save the planet. They never start with themselves now do they.:P

From a humans perspective yes we are doing OK but if you looked at your world from many animals perspective you would not feel the same. 

No I am not about to commit suicide but we have chosen not to have kids due to environmental concerns. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

China's one child rule doesn't actually seem that daft when you consider it.

I think a two child rule would actually be a reasonable way of steadying and slightly reducing the population. 

This fun topic has taken a dark turn...

5 minutes ago, gdh said:

I think a two child rule would actually be a reasonable way of steadying and slightly reducing the population. 

This fun topic has taken a dark turn...

Not arguing about numbers, just thinking about how China's laws were originally perceived as draconian when in reality they probably weren't such a bad idea.  

IMO most of the worlds problems relating to destruction of our environment stem down to over population. That said we are living lives now that just don’t sit harmoniously alongside a healthy balanced environment either.

I mean the whole thing is quite ridiculous when you think about it. The way tribes live/used to live is probably the last time humans weren’t making a mess of it all. I personally think if we were all only allowed to replace ourselves with 1 child per person. The population would slowly come down, ie if you are married and have two kids you have used your quota- if you divorce and go on to marry again, your quota is up and no more kids. Idealistic for sure, it’s never gonna happen. But short of plague,some kind of cataclysmic natural disaster- we are heading on a path of self destruction as I see it.

• Like 1

Hans Roslings factfullness is a great book to get a better grasp on how even though it feels like it about to go tits up, the world is actually a lot better for almost everyone these days. Counter intuitive but has some hard to argue against facts that help see the future more positively. 

• Like 2