choosing a replacement wood burner

On 16/09/2018 at 10:32, openspaceman said:

What recommendations for a eco design stove, 5kW(t), to fit in a alcove width  60cms, height  90cms and depth 40cms to front of chimney breast but  projecting into room 20-40cms is not a problem.

It's to replace a Jotul 602 , clean burning is the first requirement and cost a lesser consideration. It will exhaust into 8" flue so either a 150mm or 125mm flue outlet.

At 5kw nominal then the Morso 04 would work well,  the 4kw rated S11 series would also be fine having a max output of around 6.5kw.   The former will give you 100mm at the sides,  the latter 150mm which is preferred for better air flow.  With the exception of two models all Morso stoves exceed the proposed Eco design requirements.

A

18 hours ago, Alycidon said:

At 5kw nominal then the Morso 04 would work well,  the 4kw rated S11 series would also be fine having a max output of around 6.5kw.   The former will give you 100mm at the sides,  the latter 150mm which is preferred for better air flow.  With the exception of two models all Morso stoves exceed the proposed Eco design requirements.

A

Thanks for that, I wondered where you had got to,  I wasn't aware of the smaller one which will be more than adequate.

Finding a  Morso dealers near me that do indoor stuff is a problem

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Thanks for that, I wondered where you had got to,  I wasn't aware of the smaller one which will be more than adequate.

Finding a  Morso dealers near me that do indoor stuff is a problem

Any Hetas registered installer can undertake the install,  but take up references as its not hard to get a Hetas ticket.   You could do it yourself but it would then need to be signed off as safe to use by a building inspector. 

A

2 hours ago, Alycidon said:

Any Hetas registered installer can undertake the install,  but take up references as its not hard to get a Hetas ticket.   You could do it yourself but it would then need to be signed off as safe to use by a building inspector. 

A

Muy bien but I didn't mean that,  I meant the stockist 12 miles away I won't deal with and the one 40 miles away only does outdoor stuff.

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Muy bien but I didn't mean that,  I meant the stockist 12 miles away I won't deal with and the one 40 miles away only does outdoor stuff.

Go here;

https://www.hetas.co.uk/find-installer/

Put your postcode in,  you want a dry stove install.   That will throw up all the Heats registered installers but these are not graded from crap upwards, so it a matter of sorting wheat from the chaff.   PM me if you want a chat.

A

33 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

Go here;

https://www.hetas.co.uk/find-installer/

Put your postcode in,  you want a dry stove install.   That will throw up all the Heats registered installers but these are not graded from crap upwards, so it a matter of sorting wheat from the chaff.   PM me if you want a chat.

A

7 hours ago, openspaceman said:

My old boss is an installer so that's not a problem, thanks

• 1 month later...
On 16/09/2018 at 12:29, billpierce said:
On 16/09/2018 at 12:19, openspaceman said:
I love it but it's 30 years old, if they do one that meets ecoburn standards I'd  consider it.

Don't know what ecobirn standards are but the rereleased it with clean burn technology it's called an f602cb. Do shout if you want to sell your old 602. After one just now. Ta

I've removed the Jotul 602 now  and enquired about spare parts, they are available but as it needs a back and two internal baffles at £98 and 2 x £35 I doubt it's economic. The thing is although the clean burn secondary air unit is available the dealer won't give me a price as it would need rebuilding and certifying by HETAS. As it bolts together it would not be a big job to fabricate these simple original parts from a cast manhole cover and angle grinder. Some of the bolt heads are too corroded so will need heating with an oxy-acetylene torch or bolt heat induction device.

I shall not use it again in its standard form because it's not something that is easy to leave burning cleanly, whereas the modern stuff can be lit, got hot enough to burn cleanly and left to burn out without smoking.

I'm very impressed with Alycidon's suggestion of a Morso S11, it actually puts more heat into the room despite being rated 4kW. It is far better than the stovax stockton especially as the handle desn't get too hot. I also like the spring loaded door. The small ash tray needs emptying daily and I will have to resaw many of my logs as the firebox is half as wide as the Jotul is long.

Edited by openspaceman

On 12/11/2018 at 13:01, openspaceman said:

I've removed the Jotul 602 now  and enquired about spare parts, they are available but as it needs a back and two internal baffles at £98 and 2 x £35 I doubt it's economic. The thing is although the clean burn secondary air unit is available the dealer won't give me a price as it would need rebuilding and certifying by HETAS. As it bolts together it would not be a big job to fabricate these simple original parts from a cast manhole cover and angle grinder. Some of the bolt heads are too corroded so will need heating with an oxy-acetylene torch or bolt heat induction device.

I shall not use it again in its standard form because it's not something that is easy to leave burning cleanly, whereas the modern stuff can be lit, got hot enough to burn cleanly and left to burn out without smoking.

I'm very impressed with Alycidon's suggestion of a Morso S11, it actually puts more heat into the room despite being rated 4kW. It is far better than the stovax stockton especially as the handle desn't get too hot. I also like the spring loaded door. The small ash tray needs emptying daily and I will have to resaw many of my logs as the firebox is half as wide as the Jotul is long.

Pleased your impressed with the morso. Generally I have also been very impressed with them also. Liked the look of the 2b which is similar to the 602.

I'm after a project stove for the new camper if you want to flog the 602?

5 hours ago, billpierce said:

Pleased your impressed with the morso. Generally I have also been very impressed with them also.

I'm getting to like it more daily. It's able to put out  more than enough heat for this small room (3m x 3.6m) even with the door open to the stairwell.

I'd been wanting to try some hot air circulation so ran a 150mm  flexible ventilation duct to the room next door and have been blowing air from  above the stove into it, brought it up to 22C, in fact the whole house is over 20C and though it has been hovering around 12C outside this is the only heat source. I'm  now wondering about drilling through and installing a permanent duct complete with steel pipe and intumescent wrap. It means drilling through two   9" and one 4 1/2 inch walls.

Liked the look of the 2b which is similar to the 602.

Yes but I wanted something smaller and lower so the  S11 suits me, only drawback is having to crosscut smaller logs.

I'm after a project stove for the new camper if you want to flog the 602?

PM sent