Rescue from a single line

Joe Newton

4 hours ago, drinksloe said:

I may be wrong but thought the metal to metal was to do with being able to cut yourself or someelse free in a rescue situation.

Like u can't have a grilion on ur strop straight onto ur harness.

If all there wieght was on a carb/strop u might not be able to lift the wieght off and unbuckle/clip the device, if rope involved u just cut it away after seured to urself

That makes a huge amount of sense, I hadn't considered that. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the rescue scenario?

As an IRATA 3 we get more curveball rescues than you can shake a stick at.

The irata system makes use of carabiner chains all the time.

If the casualty is in a descender climb to them, we tend to make a carabiners chain out of 3 steel screwgates and connect from their central D / bridge to your descender carabiners (make sure you're in your descending gear first), lower them onto you then descend with a braking crab.

There are many many techniques to get someone out of a loaded ascender. Google snatch rescue, counterbalance rescue, hard link rescue, loop rescue.

Jamie

5 hours ago, Jamie said:

What is the rescue scenario?

As an IRATA 3 we get more curveball rescues than you can shake a stick at.

The irata system makes use of carabiner chains all the time.

If the casualty is in a descender climb to them, we tend to make a carabiners chain out of 3 steel screwgates and connect from their central D / bridge to your descender carabiners (make sure you're in your descending gear first), lower them onto you then descend with a braking crab.

There are many many techniques to get someone out of a loaded ascender. Google snatch rescue, counterbalance rescue, hard link rescue, loop rescue.

Jamie

The original scenario was rescuing a casualty in a situation where there line is compromised. Assuming there is a pre-installed static rescue line the quickest means of ascending to the casualty would be srt, on a rope wrench or similar. I'm not really talking about IRATA systems as the majority of tree workers aren't trained in using those systems. 

On the CS38 course the trainees are taught to attach the casualty to the rescuer with two attachments. One bridge to bridge with a cutaway and the other with a prussik from the standing part of the rescuers system to the casualties bridge. This is the part that supports then so the rescuers line is taking the casualties weight, and this is the part that can't be done with an srt setup. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

The original scenario was rescuing a casualty in a situation where there line is compromised. Assuming there is a pre-installed static rescue line the quickest means of ascending to the casualty would be srt, on a rope wrench or similar. I'm not really talking about IRATA systems as the majority of tree workers aren't trained in using those systems. 

On the CS38 course the trainees are taught to attach the casualty to the rescuer with two attachments. One bridge to bridge with a cutaway and the other with a prussik from the standing part of the rescuers system to the casualties bridge. This is the part that supports then so the rescuers line is taking the casualties weight, and this is the part that can't be done with an srt setup.  

Hi Joe,

It can be done on a single line, have a read through what I posted earlier, shout if any questions.

Cheers

Andrew

• 1 month later...

quick bump.

just a quick thanks to joe for starting this thread as it prompted me to organise a refresher day for me and a few mates, hopfully wont need it but good to recap on it.

asked about the srt query and the trainer reckoned it best to switch back to drt for the actual rescue maybe srt up if you need to, iam inclined to agree.

thanks to andrew for that method, makes sense and will try it out one day and see how the bulldog bone reacts to two climbers on it. 

carl

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, carlos said:

quick bump.

just a quick thanks to joe for starting this thread as it prompted me to organise a refresher day for me and a few mates, hopfully wont need it but good to recap on it.

asked about the srt query and the trainer reckoned it best to switch back to drt for the actual rescue maybe srt up if you need to, iam inclined to agree.

thanks to andrew for that method, makes sense and will try it out one day and see how the bulldog bone reacts to two climbers on it. 

carl

Definitely seems to be the simplest solution

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dbikeguy said:

What about using something like this? designed for the Rope access boys but looks like it could work for SRT tree rescue allowing ascending on Single line, could still clip them to your harness.

https://m.petzl.com/US/en/Professional/Kits/JAG-RESCUE-KIT

That looks like a very useful bit of kit! Shame it's £500!

On my last one we covered the basics like normal but talked about installing a separate line to lower a casualty.

It does involve having a dedicated kit though, basically as the climber ascends grounds puts a rig or something similar at the bottom of the tree, once the climber is up with the casualty he just pops the rope over a branch or through a pulley and the ground man lowers the injured party.

Sorry if that’s a bit waffley