Rescue from a single line

Joe Newton

I attended an aerial rescue refresher yesterday. Not a lot has changed, but for the sake of it I decided to try a canopy rescue on a static rope.

When it comes to transferring a casualty over to your system (in the event the casualty's line is compromised) I hit a road block.

On doubled rope its pretty simple to attach a casualty to the standing part of your system with a prussik or similar. On srt with the line being static it just doesn't work. 

Anybody got an insight into how this would be done? It's something I've always overlooked. 

33 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I did see a system on Treekits training days joe but can’t find any links for you ... could you just not if you choose a decent anchor point transfer them on to your harness with a webbing sling?

That's basically what I had to do, and in a pinch would be the quickest way. It doesn't keep the casualty close to if you need that though. 

18 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

Could you install a prussik with a pinto on it above their system, bang a hand ascender under it as a stopper knot and just cut their rope and lower them down on the pinto?

Do you mean above my system? Not sure I like the idea of lowering somebody from a pulley attached to my line above my hitch. I like the idea of a toothed hand ascender being loaded with a casualties weight above my hitch even less!

interesting point joe , although i wonder how likley it would be that someone would chose srt as a method of rescue, i guess if there was a pre installed single line then yes, but the idea of being injured and looking to down to see the rescuer rooting around there kit bag looking for all their srt gear to don, then theres the throwline  to  deal with under pressure!!! obviously its tree and situation dependent.

on a side note did you feel the refresher was worth doing aside from a box ticking aspect?

probably should do one myself.

thanks carl.

51 minutes ago, carlos said:

interesting point joe , although i wonder how likley it would be that someone would chose srt as a method of rescue, i guess if there was a pre installed single line then yes, but the idea of being injured and looking to down to see the rescuer rooting around there kit bag looking for all their srt gear to don, then theres the throwline  to  deal with under pressure!!! obviously its tree and situation dependent.

on a side note did you feel the refresher was worth doing aside from a box ticking aspect?

probably should do one myself.

thanks carl.

Yeah, if an access line had been used, or if another climber in the tree was working srt...

It's by far the quickest way too get up a tree, but it doesn't sound like there's much thought to the rescue side of it.

Yeah refresher training for rescue is always a good idea. I wouldn't say I learnt loads of new stuff, but I try and keep up to date with it and practice it fairly regularly. 

It's all about keeping yourself familiar, especially if you trained many years ago and haven't done it since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

That's basically what I had to do, and in a pinch would be the quickest way. It doesn't keep the casualty close to if you need that though. 

Do you mean above my system? Not sure I like the idea of lowering somebody from a pulley attached to my line above my hitch. I like the idea of a toothed hand ascender being loaded with a casualties weight above my hitch even less!

I was thinking just on their line and you on your own. Definatley not text book but would get you down!

Joe, my experience of it :

SRT to rescue : if casualty's line is not compromised then SRT should allow for easy access and descent to and from the casualty, just tethering them to the rescuer and using their system and rope as well as your own.

If casualty's line is compromised the most common/easiest way I have used/seen is to use SRT for access , take another line and use that on doubled rope , either

for both of you as per normal , or counterbalance technique for both of you, or lower the casualty.

The anchor for the doubled rope  can be on the SRT line (e.g. prussic and pulley), with a knot (e.g.alpine) below in case of slippage.

Rescue: casualty straight on to rescuers harness: I have played around with a bit and had such varied results I would not yet be confident to use it  for real as sometimes everything just locks up:

Variations in success seem to be related to casualty weight , rope/ friction hitch , device used etc etc. Certainly had it work ok on some set ups, and not at all on others.

Cant think of a configuration on srt that would allow for an aerial rescue.

What if you use srt to access casualty taking a second rope up with you.

The 2nd rope could be used basal anchor and a groundie lowers the causualty as you(the rescue climber)assists the casualty down

Srt for access then onto ddrt for the actual rescue maybe the reality though

• Like 1