Liquid gasket type stuff

sandspider

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:48, sandspider said:

Hi all

My ancient Yanmar YM1600 tractor seems to have an oil leak, which I think is coming from the rocker cover gasket. I'm struggling to find a new gasket in the UK, and postage from the US is 3x the cost of the gasket! Given that the rocker cover gasket doesn't have to resist huge pressure, I was wondering if liquid gasket / silicone sealer type stuff work work? Either to plug a hole in said gasket, or to remove the gasket altogether and create a new one using the liquid gasket / a bead of silicone.

If this is a sensible option, can anyone recommend a good brand of liquid gasket? There are several on ebay at different prices, but it would be nice to have a good one recommended that will resist warm oil, and last! (I do have high temp silicone sealant already to hand, but guessing there's probably a better product than this available...)

Cheers.

Heremetite used to be the order of the day, most of the motorcycles that we used to rag around back in the day were held together with this stuff do not know if it still exists all the best Essexlogman

43 minutes ago, Essexlogman said:

Heremetite used to be the order of the day, most of the motorcycles that we used to rag around back in the day were held together with this stuff do not know if it still exists all the best Essexlogman

Yes green stuff for permanent fixes, like sealing two crankcase together and red for  less permanent stuff like chain cases, both bastard stuff to clean off. I'd use hylomar in most cases now.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Engines Plus don't import Yanmar stuff any more (good quick response though!), Barrus do now - and they can't get parts for it. Still waiting to hear from a couple of other suggestions.

If I can't get a proper gasket sounds like one of the liquid types is worth a try.

I did strip the tractor down over the weekend, and got as far as the rocker cover - it didn't come off easily so I decided I'd wait until I have a gasket or some sort of replacement before I start splitting things!