Liquid gasket type stuff

sandspider

Hi all

My ancient Yanmar YM1600 tractor seems to have an oil leak, which I think is coming from the rocker cover gasket. I'm struggling to find a new gasket in the UK, and postage from the US is 3x the cost of the gasket! Given that the rocker cover gasket doesn't have to resist huge pressure, I was wondering if liquid gasket / silicone sealer type stuff work work? Either to plug a hole in said gasket, or to remove the gasket altogether and create a new one using the liquid gasket / a bead of silicone.

If this is a sensible option, can anyone recommend a good brand of liquid gasket? There are several on ebay at different prices, but it would be nice to have a good one recommended that will resist warm oil, and last! (I do have high temp silicone sealant already to hand, but guessing there's probably a better product than this available...)

Cheers.

Have you tried seddon plant at bolton? If you have the engine family number and engine serial number off the plate on top of the rocker cover then they should be able to source you what you want.
I’ve took rocker cover gaskets out of them before now and cleaned em up thoroughly then put a tiny bead of silicon in the groove all way round, left it to nearly go off for a good half hour then reseated the original gasket in the groove on top of the silicone and refit and they’ve been fine. The odd one that hasnt worked i’ve put a full on bead of silicone in groove so it is just proud of the groove and let it go off completely, then fit rocker day after, obviously your relying on the clamping down of your rocker cover to make the seal. Those rocker nuts are like cheese tho sometimes so dont over tighten em.
Seddon have come up trumps for me tho this last 3 years since i got told about em. Typically a 3-5 day delivery on stuff too [emoji106]

Thanks both.

I'd not heard of Seddon plant, but have sent them an email as it's too late to ring. Still waiting to hear back from LS Engineers too. Fingers crossed.

Given that the gasket (rubber I believe, but haven't taken the cover off yet) is $9 in the US but postage is $35 it stings a bit! A decent UK supplier would be great, but failing that I hope a bit of JB weld stype stuff would do the trick... I'll take Ratman's advice! :thumbup1: