Wood with natural holes in?

Woodlover

I want to buy lengths of wood that have holes in.

I need any species that has holes that develop naturally. I intend on making Fairy houses out of them. About 800mm in length and 150mm-300mm wide would be perfect.

Here is an example. Also could someone please tell me if wood with these holes is common or a rarity? 

aa.jpg

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Do the ditiz's that buy these not realize they are the perfect spider/creepy crawlie habitat/hide-out?

P.S.

Seriously hope not lit by a tealight or scented candle.

M

No candle or tea light...Solar powered LED lights are what is used by most who sell these, I am going to be looking into this myself but don't really like the idea of sticking a solar panel on a nice lump of wood...  for now for photo purposes I am just using £1 shop LED battery run lights, which is fine for indoor use.

As for bugs...could be a selling point... if you give a bug a home, its easier to evict them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone Please tell me how common these pieces of wood are with holes in...And does it have a name for when a hole develops? I need to know what to ask for if it does... and also is the hole the result of a dead branch or infected/infested wood. The pictured one had woodworm holes in the dead wood that was in the hollow holy bit,but no where else.

Thanks devon TWiG….So if it is the result of cutting a branch too close to the trunk, and this is not standard practise ,I guess I will struggle to get a regular supply of such wood. In my fire wood log piles I have only ever had this one piece in 5 years or so of wood gathering.