Continuing the theme of 'pimp my forwarder'....

Big J

On 11/09/2018 at 11:24, spuddog0507 said:

J, brainstorming its no good, it just ties you up in knots, if your planing on selling the chip on as payment forget it as its a lot of work for very little return, we tried this earlier on this year as a trial same thought as you bed mounted chipper and crane feed it borrowed the chipper that i was going to mount on forwarder a kwickchip 8" and it was a night mare feeding it with crane and it was much faster with 2 of us feeding chipper by hand and to do it with a profit at the end if any is just not worth it ,was chipping in the wood into ifor 10x5.6 tipping trailer with 10x5 ply sides and nissan cabstar pick up again with ply sides in the so getting about 12 cube of chip on @ approx 3 cube per tonne = approx 4 tonne at £52 a tonne, i think weigh bridge ticket was 3960 kgs then i had to deliver it 12 mile it just about paid wages, one pick up and trailer and a pick up load in a 8 hr day,  the high lift grain trailer wont lift high enough to tip in to a wagon looked at that and now the weather is on the turn it just makes it harder and forwarding brash out with our size of machines is not a viable venture either ,large forwarder clearing brash off a eurotrash site earlier this year £6 a tonne for brash to road side then chipper chipping in to walking floor arctics 30 mins a load,so for me its back to that good old fashioned way of burning the brash much eaiser and quicker, drawings for bed mounted chipper are here some where,

Plenty of chip to waste applications out there where a low impact Forwarder that can do the chipping and forward out the best of the timber for a return, would be a great solution.

They also pay a lot better than Forestry as it’s niche.

If you can’t crane feed more in a shift the Chipper is the weak link.

You can load all sorts of trucks and Hooklift bins with a Hi Lift Trailer, but depends on your actual trailer.

Eddie.

Just thinking about tis yest at work, and similar to wot LPG eddie has said above.

If ur getting a tractor and hi lift trailer in and out loaded an not making a mess its probably not the sort of site u'd be using a small Lgp forwarder/chipper combo.

If u can travel out with a full trailer load of chip u could also travel out with a botex/full size forwarder of brash to roadside to chip direct  into bulkers or take a decent sized PTO/crane fed chipper in.

Will really all depend on the work u think u'll have for it and wether u can justify the costs of having a chipper sat idle (if not using it a lot) or the extra costs to adapt it to how u wanted it.

36 minutes ago, herne said:

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/documents/2002/FR_BEC_East_Anglia_whole_tree_thinning_by_chipping_IPIN_1198_1999.pdf

This might be of assistance. I know the aim of the study was whole tree rather than residue harvesting. The Bruunet on the last page looks just about right for what the OP envisaged (perhaps) and may give some ideas.

G

There was an earlier Hafo live in the link at one of the places I worked, it was covered in brambles and hadn't been used for a long while, oddly the chipper head looked like it was driven by a flat belt.