Continuing the theme of 'pimp my forwarder'....

Big J

44 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Feeding a chipper with an excavator is a different proposal to feeding a small mounted chipper with a small mounted crane. And this isn’t a site clearance job - the main role is harvesting any timber of value. All that will be left is small brash, not hulking great lengths of heavy timber. I stand by my thoughts that it would be quicker fed by hand on this scale. There would be a lot of repositioning with that sized crane just to reach the brash for a start - I can’t see it being viable unfortunately. 

Why would you stop at just the One application, when this setup could be attractive to a much broader range of clients.

It would be a good setup with a demountable turntable chipper, hard enough to find decent guys, the more one man can do the better.

Eddie.

I’d love to see it work as a concept, but personally think it’s a bit too compromised in terms of capacity to be worth building. Chasing twigs around with a forestry crane would soon get tiresome. There is a reason you don’t often see this sized chipper fitted with a crane! 

If Big J has an old suitable chipper kicking about in the nettles then yes, it would make sense to do a bit of fabrication and give it a try. To go out and buy a suitable machine to test the concept wouldn’t be how I’d personally spend my own money though - I reckon you could soon end up with a load of money tied up in a niche machine with limited/no market. 

1 hour ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’d love to see it work as a concept, but personally think it’s a bit too compromised in terms of capacity to be worth building. Chasing twigs around with a forestry crane would soon get tiresome. There is a reason you don’t often see this sized chipper fitted with a crane! 

If Big J has an old suitable chipper kicking about in the nettles then yes, it would make sense to do a bit of fabrication and give it a try. To go out and buy a suitable machine to test the concept wouldn’t be how I’d personally spend my own money though - I reckon you could soon end up with a load of money tied up in a niche machine with limited/no market. 

Probably what a lot thought when the actual Forwarder was built? We could do this with a horse!

You can innovate or follow the pack, no rights or wrongs, down to the individual.

Eddie.

• Like 1

Remembering that Big J's niche is low impact forestry.

As has been said the large plantations use full size forwarders following the harvesters and extracting brash to roadside where its chipped with crane fed mega chippers into bulkers.

Using used comparably 'Micro' equipment, bought (and slightly modified) rather than made from scratch to extract brash to roadside where it could be chipped into bulk transport could be an option if the figures actually stack up.

However I think chipping time is the issue - needing to chip into roadside heaps if space allows and collect chip with clamshell bulker - that could work if the local market is geographically positioned to make it financially viable.

You need to be making a good profit out of the exercise remember. ?

• Like 1

J, brainstorming its no good, it just ties you up in knots, if your planing on selling the chip on as payment forget it as its a lot of work for very little return, we tried this earlier on this year as a trial same thought as you bed mounted chipper and crane feed it borrowed the chipper that i was going to mount on forwarder a kwickchip 8" and it was a night mare feeding it with crane and it was much faster with 2 of us feeding chipper by hand and to do it with a profit at the end if any is just not worth it ,was chipping in the wood into ifor 10x5.6 tipping trailer with 10x5 ply sides and nissan cabstar pick up again with ply sides in the so getting about 12 cube of chip on @ approx 3 cube per tonne = approx 4 tonne at £52 a tonne, i think weigh bridge ticket was 3960 kgs then i had to deliver it 12 mile it just about paid wages, one pick up and trailer and a pick up load in a 8 hr day,  the high lift grain trailer wont lift high enough to tip in to a wagon looked at that and now the weather is on the turn it just makes it harder and forwarding brash out with our size of machines is not a viable venture either ,large forwarder clearing brash off a eurotrash site earlier this year £6 a tonne for brash to road side then chipper chipping in to walking floor arctics 30 mins a load,so for me its back to that good old fashioned way of burning the brash much eaiser and quicker, drawings for bed mounted chipper are here some where,

• Thanks 1

Just put an image of the Jensen up so people can grasp what we are talking about?
Basically demountable from such a road tow chassis on to the back of that compact Forwarder to feed by crane or hand.

Eddie.
76C058F6-C11A-4E89-9263-356BC13928B6.jpeg.2ad4b4d67eeacd886e748ddde0006ffe.jpeg
The last place I worked at we had two of these; one was like the picture and the other was mounted on a Marooka tracked dumper.