Branch logging as an alternative to chipping in a forestry setting

Big J

Was chopping some branches this week with the intention to use it as BBQ fuel next year. I am not bothered about it being charcoal so long as it isn't too smokey and will give a decent bed of ashes (when I was younger and in the Scouts that's all we used to cook with, didn't use charcoal so I guess it must work well)  - just to give another idea where you could market it. Doesn't solve the problem for selling it in bulk though.

Put some on the stove they burn, the room is getting warmer but the market wants logs so you wou;d have to do some good marketting to sell this

As a 60Kw log burning biomass owner I could readily see the use for bags of these branch off cuts. To get my stove going I need to have faffed around cutting kindling, then added cardboard, then newspaper followed by smaller diameter logs (or split logs) before adding the bigger stuff once the flue temperature is up to heat.  

If those bags of pieces were adequately dry they would certainly save me around 15 minutes for each firing as I wouldn't need to spend the best part of a morning in filling an old fashioned laundry basket for the kindling. The basket when full lasts about a week and a half assuming a firing each day.

Why not approach biomass suppliers and mention this so that they could contact their customers to see if there was any interest? 

Edited by Baldbloke

10 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Another thought, how fussy are pellet burners for needing exact cylinders of wood? Would these work in such a fire?

I can hand feed softwood slabwood that's been through a branch logger into my pellet burner nd it seems alright but I have no way of knowing what the particulates  given off would be. The pellet stove is designed to feed the right amount of air for the average contents of the constantly fed fire box and not used to sudden introductions of large bits of wood nor having a char burn out phase except on shu tdown.  It actually burns graded dry woodchip quite well, it's the feed auger that cannot cope.

• Like 1

Aye i was thinking the same as u Baldbloke, if u could dry them properly in there bags in a kiln could be a cheaper alternative to kindlering.

Watching that clip earlier of the branch logger working, to me it actually seemed quite quick, well atleast the chipping side of it. Seemed almost as quick as a chipper really

Wot seemed to take up a lot of time was climbing over to the far side of the machine over tow bar/trailer to shake the bags so often. I would get sick of that pretty quickly.

If the bags were at the same side of the machine so u could shake/kick them as u loaded the logger it would speed it up a lot, pus having bigger bags if possible

If they could be dried in the bags there could be a market and the way things are going prices and demand for timber is only going to go 1 way in the future