Branch logging as an alternative to chipping in a forestry setting

Big J

1 minute ago, scbk said:

They do seem keen on the "branch logger" type machines in eastern europe, so they must be doing something useful with the stuff.

Maybe the answer is to bag it all up and send it on a backload to Lithuania from a lorry importing kiln dried firewood to UK xD

Haha!

The timber grows so beautifully there though that young, 10cm DBH birch is an economically viable crop. No branches, no fuss. It can be easily harvested mechanically too.

6 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Could u kiln dry those bags and sell them as kindlering??

A couple of my nieghbours save up/collect all sorts of scrap like that as there kindlering.

I'd just want to wholesale them. I'm not interested and don't have time to retail them or dry them.

Been keen to hear what thay estate in Scotland have to say about them. Been on a few jobs where we had a lot of chipping to do and alot of it went to branch logging. It was a tow behind petrol machine. Produced hundred of net bags of branch logs. The lad was going to make biochar with it. He was chuffed but reckon it took easily 2 or 3 times as long to process and with tiny ends had to be chipped anyways.......id say if you have massive site probs a big chipper and tipping grain trailer and whole sale the chip is the most economical.......sadly.

Been keen to hear what thay estate in Scotland have to say about them. Been on a few jobs where we had a lot of chipping to do and alot of it went to branch logging. It was a tow behind petrol machine. Produced hundred of net bags of branch logs. The lad was going to make biochar with it. He was chuffed but reckon it took easily 2 or 3 times as long to process and with tiny ends had to be chipped anyways.......id say if you have massive site probs a big chipper and tipping grain trailer and whole sale the chip is the most economical.......sadly.

2 hours ago, billpierce said:

It does convert to charcoal and biochar very readily and the branch logger is way faster than putting small stuff through the processor. I sold our branch logger but still pine for it when chopping up the small stuff for our charcoal production. 

The forester came back to me and said:

As such, it's probably a non-starter.

You would need to develop a market locally for the nuggets to work.

The small bag (onion sack size) require 2 people.  The branch logger machines have changed a little and there is a conveyor set up now which might allow bulk processing into a trailer for later screening (this would allow you to feed through everything which maybe quicker.

Tricky one, you might be better with a subbed out chipper

Edited by Big J

As a point aside, why can't I type text after my quote? Any lines I add just get added to the quote, rather than appearing as normal text. Also, when I copy and paste, I don't necessarily want it to appear as a quote. Is there a way of avoiding that?