free fall dismantling large limbs

tree-fancier123

How big is your big?? 12” or 36”plus ?? By the sounds of your experience don’t do it over 12” until you have the saw time and experience to know how different timbers behave. A
If I was on a big limb especially if your in experienced,I would forget the big saw small bar idea .. not meeting or matching cuts with a lot of weight behind is a good way of messing up badly... do go in with a saw you know is sharp and capable of cutting fast though.

Positioning is every thing to keep you out of the way and insure you can see what is going on to assess your situation ... the advice on saws getting caught in big limbs is spot on , hopefully your using a tear away saw lanyard rated at breaking away under pressure and not some home made super strop I’ve seen lads using on there big saws in trees.

I would opt for putting a gob in the limb facing towards the side and ground in that has the weight and wind in your favour... not too shallow or wide ,Or use a V cut but be careful of cutting the bottom v for compression the same goes if your going to gob ...

It’s a hard thing to give advice on as every tree , limb , and cut will be different but don’t push your luck ! Personally cutting long level weighted limbs is better done in smaller bits or rigged as stihl says with a balancer .... lot of things can go and will go wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Wow! Today's turning bad pretty fast, just quit my job and upset me old mucker ? and it's only 8 AM

Only in jest mate , only in jest ? On a more serious note have you quit on medical grounds or just had enough ?  Forgive this old codger if you have already explained !

4 hours ago, MattyF said:

How big is your big?? 12” or 36”plus ?

I'm only a gardener doing a few trees at the mo - not been invited out to destroy the nations treasures  -12" is a massive limb to me.

So, as you are another one saying just walk out and piece it down, that's probably what I'll do to start with.

Interesting link above to another thread mentioning the Coos Bay and triangle cuts, will have to buy the G.F Berananek pdf - zero to hero for £20

What length is the limb.  12" diameter but relatively short has a very different dynamic to 12" but very long.  Guessing you're talking about a fairly long limb if you're thinking of branch walking it to reduce it, but 6' long would be very different to 26' long in the way it reacts.  Plus all the other caveats about species.

• Thanks 1