free fall dismantling large limbs

tree-fancier123

Use a biggish saw. As said it's pretty species dependant. I have had a few minging times doing this- saw getting pulled out my hands, branch cleaving in 2 ( like a horizontal barbers chair), twisted chains, tips got to the deck before it snaps and butt smashing backwards- this can happen faster than you would think possible. Personally I'd never have a side strop on the big limb I'm cutting - nightmare If it misbehaves.

Get Well above it. So your well out the way. Think out how the limb will fall, it may well skin the tree your climbing badly, if the tips come down first the butt could end up some way away.

get confident on small limbs like 4 to 6inch first. Don't do a " feck it" cut. Often quicker in terms of tidy up/ground crew to waltz out and drop it in 3 or 4 bits

Prolly want to do your bunny ears as well

Have fun!

• Like 1

Wicked thanks Bill, rather learn vicariously through your fun!

Mick you mean just do a top cut right near the trunk outside the swollen collar and let the tips hit the deck, does it tear off down the trunk or do you have to release it once the tips are on the ground?

Arb yes i know they are ace trainers wrote the hse rigging research etc, still money i could spend on a death trap 661

No, not really, once the tips hit the ground all bets are off (don’t do it)

I mean something high enough to freefall once the weight is enough to tear it off.

The cut should be behind the branch collar, flush with the trunk.

Don't try this on anything big just on my word of course!

And be sure NOT to have your second tie in below the branch.

• Thanks 1

Actually Bill that warrants a better explanation.

By and large if you are retaining the tree you should piece it off, regardless of any Carlos Fandango cutting techniques, the possibility of it damaging the base of the tree on landing (a “sprongback”) or it going tits up and ripping down the length of the trunk are too great.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1