Isuzu dmax towing capacity

markieg31

Looking at the plate on a 15 plate it states that the train weight is circa 6t. Truck weighs 2600 ish with full tank of fuel. (Figures are not correct but they are around that mark) so there for once you have some kit in and people you ha eaten right into the towing capacity.

Bit of a con it seems to sell it as a 3.5 towjng capacity if it cant tow that in the real world work environment unless your a jockey with no baggage or tools in on board.

Are other makes of truck similar to this or is ot just the dmax? Just interesting as someone bought it up the other day

They lost too many sales due to not having a 3500kg tow capacity.

So instead of making them better they move the numbers.

Vans are the same.

Some (like the Transit T280) have less tow capacity than my nans zimmer frame.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, this has always been the case with these 3.5t rated pickups- it is a con really as you say and in any case I think a truck is safer towing 3.5t if it actually has a good but if weight in the pickupbed.

this is why I stick with my old Landrover 110 pickup because GTW is 6550kg, Landy is about 2200kg so, if towing 3.5t I can still have about 850kg worth of stuff in the pickup bed at the same time.

• Like 2

To be fair to them it can tow 3.5 tonne legally. Local hire place using them for moving plant about and they wont need to be shifting lots of tools at the same time. Back in the real world very few seem to care about being legal. Saw some chaps doing tree work locally and I stopped to see if they wanted to off load their wood. They bit my arm off as they had a long drive home. Looked into the back of their tipper and guided them back to our place avoiding driving past the local constabulary. When they were tipping the load off here I said "that must be a bit overweight". He admitted the truck was overweight when it left the yard in the morning with just the lads and tools! Smart professional looking firm not some cowboys.

Edited by Woodworks

25 minutes ago, Sheepy said:

You can legally tow 3.5 tonne with them, it’s £200 to get the train weight uprated to 7 tonne, they just put some different rear springs and shocks on

Could you post a link or description of how this is done? 

Many thanks

• Thanks 1

Looking at the plate on a 15 plate it states that the train weight is circa 6t. Truck weighs 2600 ish with full tank of fuel. (Figures are not correct but they are around that mark) so there for once you have some kit in and people you ha eaten right into the towing capacity.

Bit of a con it seems to sell it as a 3.5 towjng capacity if it cant tow that in the real world work environment unless your a jockey with no baggage or tools in on board.

Are other makes of truck similar to this or is ot just the dmax? Just interesting as someone bought it up the other day

2600kg with a full tank of fuel is incorrect. My high sided single cab tipper weight 2300 with full tank so can happily tow 3.5t with no load on. As has been said, they can also be updated to 7t gross meaning 3.5t tow and 3.5t gvw. Any of the standard trucks are under 2040kg with no load on so plenty of room for some load and 3.5t tow
  • Like 1

Could you post a link or description of how this is done? 

Many thanks
The uprate is done by removing the bump stops on the rear and installing airbags in their place for the gvw. The train weight can then be uprated with proof that a 3.5t tow bar is fitted. A company called svtech is best place to talk to