Stihl MSA161

Jaarkeal

I have the MS160, the top handle version of last year's model with lower chain speed. My impression is powerful and constant torque but low speed, so you have to push the saw through the work, unlike the petrol version where you "let the saw do the work"...the 161 platform might be better in this respect with a higher chain speed, but I would think the torque will be the same - pretty constant. Therefore, go for the 12" bar, as the efficiency is not really a factor of speed, but torque. The speed will be the same for both 10 or 12, and the difference in maximal torque will only be limited by the diameter of wood being cut. So, to put it simply, you will be able to cut 10" diameter, with both bars, but cutting 12" with the 12" bar buried will be approaching the safety cut-off for the motor. You can do everything with the 12" that you can do with the 10", will miniscule loss of performance, but have more reach and visibility. Very different to petrol, where bar length can make quite a difference. Sorry if this is a bit confusing, I've hade a few Guinness'.

Edited by Haironyourchest

42 minutes ago, carlos said:

we also have the older version, i love it for pruning but i dont think big cuts are where  its at, so id stick a short bar on it.

What's the max diameter you are happy cutting at with the 160? I'm happy using mine for stuff up to 10" but it is slow. I can push it a bit though and it doesn't seem to slow the chain at all, but at a point it will "stall" when the motor senses too much resistance. I really think small felling dogs would work well with that saw, as I could pivot rather than push and take strain off the wrist. The only way to retrofit thought would be to add them to the plastic chain cover, which would not be ideal...

i suppose around the 3 to 4 inch mark, obviously if theres the odd cut up to max bar length then thats fine, but lots of them then id grab a bigger saw, not sure if this is right or wrong but as i like it for pruning i dont really want to bugger it up trying to hammer it through big cuts, plus its not my own saw.

• 4 weeks later...

Just out of intrest do these last at all if you were to get caught out on a rainy day ? I bought few of the Stihl cordless tools with the ap300 battery which will run for 3-4 hrs but having to be weather dependent when using them is a big downside .out of all of them I find the hsa86 hedge trimmer is the most useful for me as its so much lighter than the hs82 and will still cut most stuff 

Hey Jack ...Yeh nah the boys down at the shop told me never to use it in the wet and it’s the latest model purchased a few weeks ago. So to that I just use it for pruning and mild thinning out. I still load up the old fashioned petrol stuff for a full day out there.

As far as bar use I was pretty dissatisfied yesterday thinning out some Taupara (Rubiaceae) and it struggled. Great saw for pruning though !!!  No kickback like it’s older brothers

Edited by Hopenchop
Misspelled