Which mini tractor?

Saw-sick Steve

What about the classic 2wd tractors, grey fergie, MF135, international b275, ford 4000 and that kind of ilk? Can get plenty of decent ones for well under £5k and they are a bit of character too, also good turning circle and generally quite a bit of horsepower 35+. Downside is they don’t generally have much in the way of aux hydraulics but fine for PTO work...

I've got a Yanmar YM1600 to mow, carry etc. round my 2 acres of paddock / orchard. It's 16-18 horsepower and doesn't struggle with a 1.1m topper mower. Does a reasonably neat cut but is not much good in tight corners. It's 2wd which is fine for me - diff lock gets it out of most sticky situations, and if it's really wet I just won't use it - don't want to cut the ground up. It's an ancient import so no roll cage etc. and it can be a bit hairy - most of my paddock is on a slope. It was fine for the first year, but have had coolant leak problems this year which I don't seem to be able to permanently fix - I just use it with a weep of coolant, which I probably shouldn't, but it keeps going! it also need front wheel bearings and some other bits and pieces.

Oh, and it sips diesel - probably uses about 0.5 litres an hour! A bit more when mowing maybe.

Cost me about 3K to include a mower and a link box if I remember right. Tempted to get a log splitter for it one day, but in retrospect I should maybe have spent a bit more and got one a bit newer!

I’ve got a 4WD Shibaura with low hours. Around 550.it could be for sale. It has an American topper, a post hole borer and there’s a single furrow plough too. Bad points are the Seat is needing replaced and the original tyres sidewalls are cracked but have great tread80-90%. No air loss £3000 the lot. Trailer not included!.IMG_0212.thumb.jpg.9a48676b3b00ff5d6f65e650550676b3.jpg

• Like 1