Sub contracting Staff

Spooner

Hello all,

I have been working to build up a business of my own on the evening and weekends while working full time during the week. I have started to think about what the next steps are for me as I have built up a fair client base through social media, word of mouth, friends and friends of friends. I have a few clients with repeat business and feel once I have my website up and actively start to advertise my business I will get some additional work. I am thinking of going 3 days in my current position to have the stability of cash inflow and try to start with 2 days to see if I can maintain enough work to sustain full time with my own business.

The reason for my post today though is I have people who can help me currently at the weekends if I require an additional climber or groundie depending on the job but once I have jobs during the week I wont have these resources as they work full time also so I'm looking for peoples advice/views on how they started with sub contractors. I wish to know where do you advertise/look for someone and also trying to find people if your not quite in a position to offer anyone lots of work to start with as I don't know quite how much I will have at this time.

Thanks in advance

Hi, where abouts are you based? I'm
In a very similar position to yrself and more than happy to talk to you regarding your concerns, however off to bed now as up super early! Feel free to message me, no1 Ive found is get staff you can rely on, for example I work as a tv film extra when I'm not doing my own tree work and tbh I use people I work with in the tv stuff....I'd rather have people work for me who I can rely on and I get on with who are unskilled than someone who is skilled and I don't quite gel with! Hope your following me, it is very easy and quick to get someone on the ground trained up and moulded to how you want them to be work wise. My two golden rules are get someone who you know is going to turn up on time if not earlier than u want them and don't skimp on pay rates, I pay my geoundie friends £100 a day and on the day, as a result they turn up on time are keen to learn and put in a good shift, if u skimp on money you'll end up chasing your tail constantly trying to recruit new staff and it's a real headache! Oh and if I were gonna throw in one more rule it would be don't employ a smoker as from Experience all they wanna do is stop for a fag every 10 minutes or roll one up and you'll end up losing about an hours labour out of them a day lol.......good luck and feel free to message me as can probably help you out a lot with advice not that you'll nessassarily agree with it! Cheers, matt

Hi Matt,

I am based in Edinburgh in Scotland.

I also use friends and people I know are reliable just now and pay between £90-£100 for the day also in cash on the day. My trouble is that once I move to working during the week I wont have these people to help hence the post.

I like the idea of being able to mold someone into your way of working but do they not need qualifications? Im not sure that if I had someone help with no Quals and they had an accident my insurance would be valid. Also do you have to have a qualified rescuer?

Cheers

Not sure on the best advice but my experience when setting up came from subbing my self. I got to know the other subbies and companies in the area by working the circuit for want of a better term which gave me an idea of not only what subbies are around but also what kit and equipment other firms had should I need to hire anything. From my experience I've realised there are plenty of very unprofessional idiots in the trade that I would never look at again but I have met some cracking people that I would and do happily use regularly. Best thing I can suggest is maybe stick to working weekends and evenings and maybe try subbing to various companies initially for the 2 days a week till you have some contacts

• Like 1

On 04/09/2018 at 20:47, Spooner said:

Hi Matt,

I am based in Edinburgh in Scotland.

I also use friends and people I know are reliable just now and pay between £90-£100 for the day also in cash on the day. My trouble is that once I move to working during the week I wont have these people to help hence the post.

I like the idea of being able to mold someone into your way of working but do they not need qualifications? Im not sure that if I had someone help with no Quals and they had an accident my insurance would be valid. Also do you have to have a qualified rescuer?

Cheers

yes its a tricky one, like the other guy said perhaps build some contacts up, i through subbing for other companies have managed to do that. i tend to work on the ground alot these days and hire a climber in, so i provide ariel rescue should it ever be needed. the other guys on the ground i work closely with and monitor as we go, i think the rule of thumb is that if someone who doesnt hold a cs30,31 ticket is able to use a saw so long as they are in your sight all times and are obviously wearing the appropriate protective gear, chainsaw boots n trousers! good luck with it all, take small steps to start with and just make sure you are organsised whatever route you take, ie cary spare parts and tools, chipper blades ect, the tiniest of breakdowns on the day if not prepared for them can screw a whole day up and cost alot of dosh especially if hired staff are in! all the best

Thanks all, for the comments.

I think I may try subbing when I don't have any jobs on to fill in some space and try to build a network.

@ Matt, I Didn't know that rule of thumb but its good to know. Would still prefer to have a trained rescuer though for piece of mind.

Cheers and good luck to you also mate.