AN UNUSUAL ADVERT FOR AN OUTSTANDING TREE WORKER

Andrew Barrett

Hello,

I recently had to say goodbye to the young lad who started with me as an inexperienced groundy a few years ago, due to repeated reliability problems. That’s a shame, as I don’t like treating people like they’re disposable.

This has given me the opportunity to have a good think about the sort of person I would like to employ long term as a replacement. We’re a somewhat unusual company (I’m an ex-London investment banker and now run the company my uncle founded in 1970, for example!) and we’re looking for an unusual and outstanding worker. Hence I’ve decided to write some detail about what we’re looking for – and why – in the hope of finding the right sort of person. 

I only want to work with trustworthy, interesting, enthusiastic and really competent / hard working / reliable guys that I can form a long term working relationship with – where we look after and support each other and enjoy working together.

For the right person, I think we can offer a better working experience than the considerable majority of other tree contractors. The last three guys we started employing part time all left their previous employers for us when it became clear we offered better pay and working conditions.

I’d rather pay someone excellent more than they’re likely to be able to earn elsewhere in return for being flexible around our odd quiet periods (I avoid routine hedge trimming work, for example). We pay promptly and overtime: if we finish late on site I regard it as my fault for not pricing properly. We bill at the top end of the companies in our area and have excellent, regularly replaced kit and only use Aspen fuel. Our clients are almost always keen to have us back despite us not being cheap – because we offer an excellent service and genuinely care about looking after their interests.

My last advert looking for a climber alluded to good pay – and as a result I got an application from a self-described 7/10 climber without tickets who wanted £270 cash-in-hand at the end of each working day! To avoid similar issues with chancers I would start you on standard rates and only pay you more if you’re worth it. 

If I don’t think you’re good enough to be worth more than average rates, I’ve promised myself I won’t settle and will look for someone else anyway. I’ve learned that the best workers are almost always underpaid/undervalued because they make life so much easier / better and the worst workers are almost always overpaid – no matter how little they are paid. 

I’d rather hire an experienced person, preferably over 25 with a clean driving licence and towing ticket (though that could be sorted later, if necessary) as I would want them to drive the truck at least some of the time. If you have your own truck or trailer and could take away arisings that would be useful.

You don’t need to be a climber but I’m not bothered if you do climb. I paid my previous very experienced guy (who retired earlier this year to build a house!) top climber rates whether he climbed, trimmed or just worked on the ground because he was so fast and reliable and good at working out efficient ways of getting things done. He started on much less and never asked for a pay rise – I just paid him what he was worth to me. 

Even though I already have a new, promising lead climber, I’d still be happy to hire another experienced climber who’s happy working on the ground, too – but who likes the idea of a less stressful, more rewarding life than is usual in our industry. 

I usually work two or three days a week (Tuesdays to Thursdays) on site, so that’s what I’d be looking for and you’d be self-employed. I don’t really want to be responsible for your training (though you would obviously need to be willing to learn how we like to do things) as when we’re working I like the work to go quickly. If you would need more work than that, if things go well I would be willing to help support you find some of your own work, give pricing / business advice and get you work with other decent firms in the area (we have a little network of people who help each other out).

We're based near Tewkesbury but do most of our work around Cheltenham / Gloucester.

You can look us up here:

www.barretttreeservice.co.uk

www.checkatrade.com/BarrettTreeService

Contact me at [email protected] or on 07801 337565. Let me know your experience / tickets, what you're good at, what kit you have (inc. vehicles / trailers) and what you charge.

Thanks, Andrew

• Like 4

Apart from a few likes I've not had any replies to my advert. I did want to cut down on the wrong sort of people replying - but I didn't want to cut it down to none!

I have wondered if I set myself a sort of trap - and the type of non-big headed but very competent guy (or lady!) I would like to employ might not reply because they don't reckon they're good enough. If you're the sort of person other people speak highly of or like working with and the advert interests you (and you manage to read it to the end!) - then please put yourself forward.

• 1 month later...