Bio hydraulic oil

Woodworks

3 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Anyone using it in their processor and if so are there any problems?

Our Farmi uses the hydraulic oil as the chain lubricant and you get covered in the stuff some days.

Sure I have asked about this before but cant find it in searches. 

Thanks

If you do any river work EA and the Rivers Authority will insist all machines are on bio.

Some large hire companies have bio machines in their fleet - such as plant force.

It is extremely expensive and you are best to buy the few gallons you need of someone who buys in bulk in IBC's.

I would love to have it all our gear on it, but at present with the state of the industry etc. it won't be soon.

Saying that, when we switch to a Tafjun 480P it's chain cutting and I am uncertain if it utilises HYd. oil like yours. 

gdh will know.

I know a plant man who may sell you some near Wrangaton. ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

If you do any river work EA and the Rivers Authority will insist all machines are on bio.

Some large hire companies have bio machines in their fleet - such as plant force.

It is extremely expensive and you are best to buy the few gallons you need of someone who buys in bulk in IBC's.

I would love to have it all our gear on it, but at present with the state of the industry etc. it won't be soon.

Saying that, when we switch to a Tafjun 480P it's chain cutting and I am uncertain if it utilises HYd. oil like yours. 

gdh will know.

I know a plant man who may sell you some near Wrangaton. ?

The tajfuns use chain oil, they don't get through a lot of it anyway. I wonder if you could convert from hydraulic oil, you would use less then as it's much thicker.

I can't see any harm buying bio oil and testing it, you would soon notice if the bar was overheating.

• Like 1

Just checked - there is an option with Tajfun to have a bio machine - I'll go for that.

Is it worth getting the longer conveyor option do you think?

Last question - they give the option of having an integral fan run off the machines internal pump - do you think the 35x will cope with it - not sure how it ups the required hp as they don't mention that?

They quote 35hp and as you know the 35 has nearly 45. Thanks

2 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Just checked - there is an option with Tajfun to have a bio machine - I'll go for that.

Is it worth getting the longer conveyor option do you think?

Last question - they give the option of having an integral fan run off the machines internal pump - do you think the 35x will cope with it - not sure how it ups the required hp as they don't mention that?

They quote 35hp and as you know the 35 has nearly 45. Thanks

The conveyor is self tensioning so if you think you'll ever want a longer one I would get it and remove sections to shorten it as needed. 

The 35 is only just enough power, arguably not enough with the 12 way splitter so I wouldn't add anything else myself. 

59 minutes ago, gdh said:

The tajfuns use chain oil, they don't get through a lot of it anyway. I wonder if you could convert from hydraulic oil, you would use less then as it's much thicker.

I can't see any harm buying bio oil and testing it, you would soon notice if the bar was overheating.

My concern was for the running of the machine. A quick google suggests there can be problems with pipes and seals rotting through due to them being incompatible. Cant imagine it would be any worse for chain wear?

And yes plan B is to fit a separate oil supply. I have talked about this for years and still not done it but I must change something as getting covered in hydraulic oil cant be good.

12 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

My concern was for the running of the machine. A quick google suggests there can be problems with pipes and seals rotting through due to them being incompatible. Cant imagine it would be any worse for chain wear?

And yes plan B is to fit a separate oil supply. I have talked about this for years and still not done it but I must change something as getting covered in hydraulic oil cant be good.

Ah, I assumed it was a separate tank like our old hakki pilke, I wonder if gravity would be enough to oil it if you just diverted the saws pipe to a separate tank, probably not with chain oil but might work with hydraulic oil then you could leave standard oil in the machine. 

Just thinking out loud here.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I wouldn't say that vegetable oil is aggressive in any shape or form, in cosmetic people rub it all over themselves and seem to survive. The bloke I know has a massive fleet and has contracts with the EA and he has no issues. I would speak to someone who has a fleet running on bio. ?

34 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I wouldn't say that vegetable oil is aggressive in any shape or form, in cosmetic people rub it all over themselves and seem to survive. The bloke I know has a massive fleet and has contracts with the EA and he has no issues. I would speak to someone who has a fleet running on bio. ?

I know folk making bio diesel had problems with pipes breaking down and would have to change them. Clearly some sort of issue can be had.