So what's going to happen to the firewood market?

Woodworks

I continue to be appalled by the apparent hypocrisy of most other people, i.e. the fallacy that blue bin waste is recycled, when in fact it was most probably was shipped to China via Germany, merely exporting our pollution.

The best example was displayed on top of the Cam mountain, signs nailed to the telephone poles stating " No dump here",(because there was a planning application to turn a nearby quarry into a landfill site)

said sign directly above a collection of black bins.

And there would have been absolute uproar if these black bins were to remain unemptied, i.e. these concerned citizens emphatically wished to export their waste "somewhere else".

How the fornication  do people not see or understand this inherent hypocrisy.

So, yes, burn the plastic/cardboard/paper waste, it is simply the least worst option, and burn it near centres of population, because;

1. they produced it!

and

2. It is the best way of monitering adherence to flue emissions.

and

3. The waste heat can be used for district heating or glasshouses.

Simples.

Or it should be.

11 hours ago, difflock said:

Our bins only goes out the lane about every 6 months, one filled with misc unburnable stuff, the other purely full of empty steel/tin cans.

All else goes up the flue, the cardboard and paper help light the fire and minimal quantity of plastics, mostly bottles,  being added after the fire is well established.

marcus

I thought a man like yourself would be adding the tin cans to your scrap metal pile to be weighed in?! :D

Erm, I had and have considered this very logical re-cycling solution, but ah baint got no more scrap to sell, well 'cept the 1998 Galaxy, but her be a parked-up lifetime sentimental keeper.

Having just last week cashed in my stash of non ferrous, for the princely sum of £320.00.

Most of it hand picked from lorry loads of hardcore.

cheers

marcus

4 hours ago, difflock said:

So, yes, burn the plastic/cardboard/paper waste, it is simply the least worst option, and burn it near centres of population, because;

1. they produced it!

and

2. It is the best way of monitering adherence to flue emissions.

and

3. The waste heat can be used for district heating or glasshouses.

Oddly enough I agree with this.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Oddly enough I agree with this.

Seconded.

Also, why, if I buy three parsnips do we end up with a plastic sticker telling me they are parsnips, a cellophane sheet to stick the sticker on and a black plastic tray to put the parsnips in in the first place? or is that so there is something there to wrap in cellophane, thus enabling the sticking of a sticker upon the aforementioned parsnips, telling me that it is indeed parsnips which I am buying... Just leave them in the box and i'll pick up the damn things loose..only needed two anyway.. there is another waste problem we could go on about.. how much simpler would that be for everyone involved.. ? And this is only one tiny part of a vastly larger issue..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Seconded.

Also, why, if I buy three parsnips do we end up with a plastic sticker telling me they are parsnips, a cellophane sheet to stick the sticker on and a black plastic tray to put the parsnips in in the first place? or is that so there is something there to wrap in cellophane, thus enabling the sticking of a sticker upon the aforementioned parsnips, telling me that it is indeed parsnips which I am buying... Just leave them in the box and i'll pick up the damn things loose..only needed two anyway.. there is another waste problem we could go on about.. how much simpler would that be for everyone involved.. ? And this is only one tiny part of a vastly larger issue..

I'm a free-marketeer so I understand it's none of my business but I hope people who specify stuff to be packaged like this get leprosy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 03/09/2018 at 22:22, spuddog0507 said:

Gary i believe that poland and lithuainia are cutting and exporting timber at a alarming rate that by the year 2025 there wont be that much left, so that is not from a substainable source at all.

Having complained about the percentage of Ash logs showing signs of decay in my last container from Lithuania my supplier has advised me that good clean Ash cord is now pretty well impossible to source over there,  their Beech is superb but I will probably take some of their Oak next time unless I give a different supplier a go who has nice Ash.    Those of you who I have recommended to that supplier,  the 1.17 cu crates were all pretty good,  but of the bigger ones some had 25% of the logs showing signs of decay.   All perfectly dry but just not looking nice and being somewhat down on calorific value I suspect.  They are at the Arb show next weekend.

A

9 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Seconded.

Women want things wrapped that wont get their hands dirty when they pick them up.  Compare the prices of loose and pre packed carrots in a supermarket.

A