So what's going to happen to the firewood market?

Woodworks

Well got some interesting news today, while having a conversation with one of the forest managers from one of the UK,s major forestry companys he said that them and a few other big forestry companys are going to drive the price of timber up for biomass as every load of chip is spoken for before felling liecence is applied for he all so said this will all so applie to saw logs and fencing matierals its not here yet but 18 months 2 years it will be and they will be taking smaller trees to suit the biomass market like 15 - 20 year old = smaller machines and lower costs for harvesting , and this applies to both hardwood and softwood and they are all so doing some growth trials with euquliptess and some strains of popular, so if you have a bit of room and can stock pile a bit of timber it may pay dividends,

Edited by spuddog0507
wrong sprlling

On 04/09/2018 at 09:52, richardwale said:

It's odd, but I have a lot of customers who like the knarly, twisted bits, dense wood that burns for ages. It's so true about the fussy ones, blimey it's going to be totally ruined in seconds and you care what it looks like! I certainly don't loose any sleep if one log is more attractive than the other but wouldn't dream of telling them that sometimes I stick 2 pins in their face....

My customer was a guy from the city who had never ordered wood before so you have to cut him a bit of slack.  He thought the new house he bought was equipped with a gas stove.  Alas no gas in that village.

A

40 minutes ago, Stere said:

Did any of thoose willow  biomass schemes ever get planted on a large commercial scale and being economically viable etc....

hi i was working in the north of the lake district recently and while driving on A66 from penrith to keswick there is a big section of willow planted along there and there is a large section of willow just north of penrith J40 on M6 dont know if its a viable venture but somthing has to change as we wont have any timber left if things keep going the way they are.

Planted quite a bit of willow round me mibee 10+?ish years ago, only 2 fields left now in the whole area. All ripped up and reploughed, it actually ploughs out better than i thought it would, thought u'd get far more regen coming back

Money just not in it.

For years there was a field right next to the boimass power station so close the harvester could of fired the end riggs strainght into the station grounds from its spout, but all that chip was taken 70 miles away to be stored for a year before being hualed back. Just bonkers.

When that  plant was built was meant to be powered entirely by locally grown willow and waste wood of harvesting sites, no willow left locally and soon realised brash and stumps are just a waste of time in SW scotland the costs of extrcating/hualing them plus washing before chipping was massive.

The carbon/desiel footprint would be massive

The whole boimass industry (like most other green energies) is a sham and a complete white elephant. Subsidies are keeping it going and generally governments/civil servants make a complete arse of them.

With the commercial RHI tarriffs u have folk buring every scrap of wood to heat empty sheds so using up all these trees that have been lying for years,

Is there not a big boimass plant down south that imports al its chip from canada/usa?

Coupled with all this imported fiirewood, from an sustainable environmental perspective its just crazy really

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Planted quite a bit of willow round me mibee 10+?ish years ago, only 2 fields left now in the whole area. All ripped up and reploughed, it actually ploughs out better than i thought it would, thought u'd get far more regen coming back

Money just not in it.

For years there was a field right next to the boimass power station so close the harvester could of fired the end riggs strainght into the station grounds from its spout, but all that chip was taken 70 miles away to be stored for a year before being hualed back. Just bonkers.

When that  plant was built was meant to be powered entirely by locally grown willow and waste wood of harvesting sites, no willow left locally and soon realised brash and stumps are just a waste of time in SW scotland the costs of extrcating/hualing them plus washing before chipping was massive.

The carbon/desiel footprint would be massive

The whole boimass industry (like most other green energies) is a sham and a complete white elephant. Subsidies are keeping it going and generally governments/civil servants make a complete arse of them.

With the commercial RHI tarriffs u have folk buring every scrap of wood to heat empty sheds so using up all these trees that have been lying for years,

Is there not a big boimass plant down south that imports al its chip from canada/usa?

Coupled with all this imported fiirewood, from an sustainable environmental perspective its just crazy really

www.biofuelwatch.org.uk !!! ?

About 8 years back we bought land with 10 acres of SRC willow original planted for Semco at Wilton (middlesbrough so about 10 miles away) but they weren’t taking it any longer so ended up managing to send it to iggesund opposite end of the a66 at Workington. The fee we were paid after transport only just covered the harvesting done by metcalfe farms modified forager and left a bit to pay for it to be mulched out so we could grass it for the sheep.

Metcalfes have that machine running 6 months of the year just doing willow for iggesund as far as I’m aware and it spends a good portion of that time in the borders and Scotland.

Our field was done so badly it would’ve had to be replanted anyway so it wasn’t such a ballache for the harvester. Was entirely a grant chasing exercise by the previous owners.

If managed correctly it does create a good yield and can be grown on marginal land which otherwise might only be otherwise useful for grass.

The whole biomass thing for power stations is pretty ridiculous. Especially If they’re going to use decent wood to chip just because that’s all they can get hold of!
Fair enough use SRC willow, miscanthus, arb arisings, brash, forest residue, knackered pallets and wood packing material but saw logs? Insane.

Why aren’t we incinerating all our household waste to create energy instead of landfilling it?

Quite frankly why aren’t we building more than one new nuclear power station??? I’d rather they subsidising that and getting rid of the waste than totally raping our forests of decent wood when there is barely enough of it anyway!

• Like 2