So what's going to happen to the firewood market?

Woodworks

I was merely attempting to establish that there are timeless universal truths about the human condition and the societies it forms and the choices made by those living within any given society.

There are those who are absolutely incapable of managing money, even that money provided by the state for the welfare of their children, and no amount of money will make any discernable difference to their self inflicted and purely relative  "poverty".

The money will always be spent fecklessly.

Repeated down through the generations.

Some have drug problems, alcohol and ciggaretts for a start, or scratch card addiction, most simply "need" continuous instant gratification, with zero thoughts for tomorrow, their future, or their families  health and welfare.

I merely wish those on the left of the political spectrum would accecpt this akward unpalatble  fact and stop seeing that ever more our money is some magic solution to these peoples ills.

I could name specific individuals & families in the local communities, incl a recent ex sister in law who fit this feckless profile.

also

Jordan Peterson made the very valid point that the US Military has learned that it is pointless recruiting those below a certain IQ, which IQ represents I think it was a minimium of 10% of the US population, so how can any society really provide for these dysfunctional(in respect of our ever increasing complicated world) people?

Simply giving them money/more money is not the best answer, simply the simplest to implement.

I.e. Pretending that by providing ever more generous benefits will cure the problem is pure "LA-LA" land.

In the UK it has patently failed since the 1950's so 70 years negative empherical experience.

There are no easy answers, but an acceptance of some harsh inescapable  facts about our fallible human nature might be a start.

But is it Nature or nuture?

Ask any dog, horse or cattle breeder that question.

Marcus

Edited by difflock

39 minutes ago, difflock said:

I was merely attempting to establish that there are timeless universal truths about the human condition and the societies it forms and the choices made by those living within any given society.

There are those who are absolutely incapable of managing money, even that money provided by the state for the welfare of their children, and no amount of money will make any discernable difference to their self inflicted and purely relative  "poverty".

The money will always be spent fecklessly.

Marcus I don't disagree with you that some people cannot manage their money and can also be feckless, that's not the point. It's like the story of the prodigal son. No matter how people come to be in poverty a wealthy nation should make provision to prevent suffering.

That others take advantage of the system, and fraudulent claims regarding the Grenfell fire come to mind, is a separate issue but we have digressed too far from firewood.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2018 at 13:47, Conor Wright said:

To be honest I am not claiming any level of in depth knowledge here, it just makes sense to me on a basic level, obviously far more would have to be done alongside and I cannot claim to be, in any way, qualified to instruct anybody on this, but we are all entitled to our opinions and if those of us with workable ideas were to combine those ideas we may be able to create changes for the benefit of our kind..

Looks like you have been reading to much of the Guardian to be honest - you won't find too much overstocking on arable land.

Once I see the first log burner shop close you'll know the end is coming.
We know its already started but the customers haven't seen it yet.
I'm going to stock pile every ounce of very wood I cut down because its going to be like gold dust eventually.

The end is coming then, the former log burner shop in Shipston on Stour closed a couple of years or so back...