Cordwood prices

samtheman365

Importing most of my kiln dried in this year. Hardwood is getting very hard to find around south Wales and prices are getting up to £80+ a ton thanks to euro forest taking every scrap of hardwood from the south Wales area to Kent for biomass.
I'm producing softwood as it's readily available, easier to process and quicker to kiln dry. Still burns very well and saving the customer 20% off our old "seasoned hardwood" prices.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ash_smith123 said:

Importing most of my kiln dried in this year. Hardwood is getting very hard to find around south Wales and prices are getting up to £80+ a ton thanks to euro forest taking every scrap of hardwood from the south Wales area to Kent for biomass.
I'm producing softwood as it's readily available, easier to process and quicker to kiln dry. Still burns very well and saving the customer 20% off our old "seasoned hardwood" prices.

Euroforest taking timber to Kent is not sustainable in all senses of the word!!!!!

Depending on the strength of the pound imported wood is looking like it's increasing as well. Personally I wouldn't import as I don't think it's sustainable but from a business perspective it varies from year to year. 

It also depends if you're a producer or supplier, cordwood might be going up but if your profit margin is mostly in the production side there's not much point buying in long term. 

On a side note we're currently supplying 3 other businesses as wholesale and they say we're cheaper than importing but we will run out of wood at this rate which is the bigger issue than price because it's just not there. 

11 hours ago, ash_smith123 said:

Be interesting to know how you get on with the softwood. I'm doing the same this year, mixed in with hardwood, very dry, just need to tempt old timers who don't know how good it actually is.

Profit margin on imported is about half as much as doing it ourselves currently I reckon. 

Might have to get some though as we are already stowed under with orders!
I'm not sure, works out at £72 a loose cubic metre when buying it in imported.

At £80 a ton your looking at £53ish a loose cubic metre before you've even touched it. When you add on everything else there's not alot in it I would say.