Husky 385 XP tuning

Chrisdisco

Hi Everyone

Bit of a newbie to chainsaw tuning so forgive me if I have missed something stupid.

I bought a 385xp chainsaw which wasn’t running. I changed the coil and also fitted a carb kit and it started and ran fine. When I tried cutting some logs it bogged down and stalled. My guess is somone has messed with the carb screws?

Looking around, it looks like I should set the L and H screws to 1 1/4 turns out but I’m not sure what I should do with the throttle screw. Could someone run through the best way to get this tuned correctly and what else I should check?

Many thanks

Chris

• Like 1

I run a 385, when I got it I had to tweak the setting on the carb as I wanted to use a 1:40 mix. There's clips on youtube to show you how.

Bear in mind the vibration can loosen the bolts in the exhaust muffler, even with a metal detector I couldn't find them both, so got generic stainless replacements on ebay.

Thanks Glencarin, I have checked out a few videos on YouTube and I think I have it setup right to at least get it started but it doesn’t want to play ball. If I put the choke on and pull it a couple of times, it will make what I can only describe as a chuff noise back through the exhaust and out the decompressor valve. If I then take the choke off it will fire for a few seconds then die.

I’m guessing I have messed up a setting in trying to fix the high end problem, but not sure what I have done.

On 31/08/2018 at 19:16, spudulike said:

Lack of fuel, you have most likely cocked up the new gasket kit installation! Possibly split fuel line if not!

Thanks spudulike! When I put the carb kit in I just copied the layout of the existing gaskets. It never occurred to me that somone had previous put them in the wrong order as it had been fiddled with.

I found the workshop manual online and followed the instruction for the rebuild. Put it all back together and few pulls later, it started! Bit strange how it was running with the gaskets in the wrong order, but appears to be fine now!

Thanks for your help everyone!

1 hour ago, Chrisdisco said:

Thanks spudulike! When I put the carb kit in I just copied the layout of the existing gaskets. It never occurred to me that somone had previous put them in the wrong order as it had been fiddled with.

I found the workshop manual online and followed the instruction for the rebuild. Put it all back together and few pulls later, it started! Bit strange how it was running with the gaskets in the wrong order, but appears to be fine now!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Your second sentence is exactly why it is never that straight forward to diagnose a problem on a forum sometimes ! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spudulike said:

There are a lot of "experts" out there armed with their Youtube vids, glad you got it fixed. A saw will run with the spacer gasket on the wrong side of the diaphragm but not that well!

I hope you would have the integrity to actually come out and refer to me directly if you are including me as one of the "experts" that you would rather didn't work on their own saws.

If you've just got in a sly dig against me there, I'm calling you on it.