DMM hitch climber.

tony_t3d

Just bought one to have a play with. Looks like it would make limb walking alot easier.

Anyone use one.?

Dmm advise to only use spliced eye rope anyone tried it with a termination knot? Just wondered what the reason is.

Im about to buy a rope with a spliced eye to go with it this week just need to call into the shop.

Not sure if your referring to the pulley itself or the complete system....If you do use a termination knot rather than a spliced eye, just take care that the knot doesn’t interfere with the top of the hitch cord, preventing it from gripping the mainline.

Very useful and versatile system to climb on. [emoji106]

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ostosix said:

spliced eye keeps it much tidier well worth extra cash

Disagree.  Its A LOT of extra cash for something that basically lasts no longer.

I always used knots on mine Tony.  I see no safety issue with using knots over spliced eyes.  In fact a knot cinches the Karabiner a lot better also.  Using a knot for your main climbing line instead of a splice eye does cause a safety issue however.

• Like 1

Not sure if your referring to the pulley itself or the complete system....If you do use a termination knot rather than a spliced eye, just take care that the knot doesn’t interfere with the top of the hitch cord, preventing it from gripping the mainline.

Very useful and versatile system to climb on. [emoji106]

The full system. I am buying a new rope either way so i will pay the extra and get a spliced eye.

I didnt think about the interface with the hitch cord as it is quite compact.

Thanks all for the advice

I use the hitch climber with spliced 13mm yale XTC. I found only felt comfortable with a distel hitch but as it all got btoken in i added a small chord with snap hook onto the bottom turn of the hitch (from the spare hitch climber hole) to help stop it binding up tight.

only do one job in a tree a month so its hard to justify any more gear, but its good fun all the same

no matter what i do i cannot body thrust for the life of me so got a foot acender now to. May eventually get the HAAS one but not many jobs i do justify it. 

Edited by ostosix
  • Like 2

I've climbed on one for years, it's a good next step up from a prussic and even if you end up getting a mechanical device later on it's a handy bit of kit to have. Personally, I'd prefer a hitch climber over anything else I've tried - ended up selling my zigzag and spiderjack on, as they just weren't as good!

You can use it with a knot no problem, just make sure it doesn't foul the hitch as said. I usually use a Buntline as a termination, nice and compact and cinches up tightly on the krab.

• Like 2