Career change.

tony_t3d

Im sure you get sick of posts like this.

Basically i currently do grounds maintenance including Arb work probably 20% of my work is Arb related the rest is anything from grass cutting, tractor driving strimming, hedge pruning the list goes on i have worked for this current company for 7 years and i need a change for a few reasons. I feel i am beginning to stagnate i am 30 working with 55-65 yr olds (no offence ment to anyone in this category) they have no drive and are stuck in the pre H&S world. i will never be promoted as the boss and i dont get on (as its a military site and most of us are ex military or serving reservist we cannot call him by his name instead we have to adress him as sir or colonel) .

I want to move more into the Arb world i am currently qualified:

Ground based felling

climbing and areal rescue

First aid

Full clean heavy good licence

MEWP licence

I have tons of other quals i have aquired too but not relevant to this industry.

Although not advised i do and have been doing full dismantles and pruning for about 2 years i am about to get qualified.

My questions are...

1. Is there a better part of the year to look for vacancies (landscaping nd gardening tend to quieten down this timw of year)

2. Are there any well known companies in the NW of England where i could cut my teeth in the industry properly albeit on lower pay?

3. Local coincils. Are they worth perusing for Arb work or do they tend to work with subbies. My local ones would be sefton, Liverpool, Halton and knowsley.

4. Last one. Other than moving onto quals for chainsaws use from a rope and harness. are there any other quals that i would benifit from gaining whilst i am in full time employment.

Thanks in advance!

1. In east anglia (probably same in the rest of the UK) the quiet period is May and June, from mid July to mid Dec is always manic so i’d suggest making some enquiries now.
2. Sorry, don’t know the NW
3. You’ll need to make some enquiries. Only one district councils local to me run an Arb team, others have tried by soon go back to using contractors.
4. If you can do a level 2 qual in arb, either day release and online, it would give you a good basic knowledge of tree biology, laws, ident, pests and diseases, soil, etc. All good knowledge if you want to be more than a chainsaw monkey with NPTC’s.

• Like 1

Expect Glendale would be prepared to give you a start if you can live of the wages they pay, especially if you have B+E or C1+E. Local authorities pay slightly better and will invest in your training, look on their websites for vacancies, usually under Parks and Open Spaces. Could also look at universities, some have their own teams.

Good luck.

• Like 1

You just need to learn how to sell yourself, from what I just read you are an Aerial/Platform Tree Worker with 7 years experience in one of the largest grounds maintenance companies in the UK working in sensitive sites to a high H&S standard.

After 7 years of 20% Arb related stuff that is (not including holidays etc..) around 500 days of tree work! Don't think that because you don't walk around with your chest out with an arbortech T-shirt on that you aren't worth money.

• Like 1