Depth to grind?

Stumpy Grinder

3 hours ago, Shooter said:

Thats some responsibility there!  Wouldn't like the grinder to kick up

Wouldn't normally use a small machine on a job like that, but I'd been out on a very narrow access job prior to that one.

That's still a very capable machine though at 20hp. At low revs and with the hand brake applied it is going nowhere I don't want it to. It was actually the better machine for the job as there were little blue bamboo canes marking small stumps (mainly elder) all over the place! Much quicker to whip around with that one than a bigger machine.

25 minutes ago, mrstumpy said:

They are alright.  It's the expensive slab on the surface which needs care!   But I would like to see you take that Rayco to 6ft depth.

You will find bones just below surface, at some point. ☠️

Yeah, 6ft may be pushing it a bit! Some of these graves though have coffins on top of coffins, so although the original maybe  6ft down, how deep were the next ones? :/

Those machines also have an oil level restriction when worked too steep. Apart from starving the upmost cylinder of oil, the engine cuts out when the pump becomes starved of oil. Easily achieved if the oil level is low and you are working it too steep. It pays to level the machine occasionally to get the oil up around both cylinders.

I don't think I woke the dead, but I did find myself chatting to the occupants in what was a very old and deserted graveyard which seemed like the right thing to do at the time! None of them answered - thankfully!:D

SG

6 hours ago, nickc said:

Old graveyards are a nightmare. Lucky if they are 6inch down never mind 6ft. And not all graves are marked or in obvious places. Grave stones sometimes are moved or are lying just below the surface.

You're not wrong there! The back of this church had been cleared and all the old headstones are now just lined up along a fence.  No way of telling where any of the old graves are. This is the second one I've done now.

SG