Stihl ms150 or Echo equivelant?

geoffrey

I've been torn for some time over which of these saws to purchase.  People were raving about the Echo when it came out but I have heard mixed reports over their durability.

Are they that much better than the Stihl in terms of performance, and is it worth sacrificing for over the inevitable breakages?

Construction aside, which seems to be the most reliable?

Love or hate the Stihl 201t its proved exceptionally reliable on site, never breaking down in 3 years.  This makes me lean towards the Stihl at this stage.

Thanks

The echo. Such a good cutting little saw. Get the carving style bar and it’s lovely for reductions and thinning as etc. You won’t use a silky again.
I’ve got plenty of stihl kit but I wouldn’t replace my echo with a 150. Not had any durability issues with mine.

I have both now.  The Echo is more powerful but I prefer the feel of the Stihl in the hand.  I only ever use either for cutting stuff under 6" anyway, with the exception of the odd central stem in a reduction.  You probably won't go wrong with either to be fair

• Like 1

Running both and the echo imo is a better saw despite as it nears using up its fuel it has a habit of stalling on the bottom third of the tank ,but I’d still take it over the 150 any day of the week.. the compromise is a 150 bar on the echo ! Definitely recommend doing that if you get the echo.

• Like 2

Thinking about it again I’ve had the echo flat out and buried bar deep dead wooding some big oaks and removing some sizeable lumps over the last few days , I never felt the urge to ask for the 540 on and I know if I was using the 150 i would of, I had it in the mewp last week for a day after using the 540 and it’s the perfect bucket saw and you don’t get any where near as fatigued cutting and chucking for 3 hungry groundies ! .

• Like 1

Id echo (no pun intended) what matty said.I use a 150 regular and even though its timing advanced and bored exhaust it still has its limits.

The 2511 is a saw that can be used for takedowns.

In an ideal world id have both,and remember to get the 150 sprocket,bar and chain on the echo as the standard chain is too aggresive

Edited by stihlmadasever
  • Like 3