Loadhandler pics for Bustergasket

Woodworks

33 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Would you charcoal with that load, leaves and all?

No I prep the the wood I use for charcoal. I clean off the the twigs and then branch log it like in the picture. You probably charcoal it leaves and all but you would end up with a lot of material going through the sieve once converted. 

IMG_20190912_185035.jpg

36 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Does your charcoaling process work as well if you leave twigs and leaves on as it does when fully prepped?

Twigs are no problem but never tried it with leaves as most of the wood I use we cut from our hedges in the winter. You can see the twigs in this little vid. The wood for this was made with our old branch logger that had a smaller cutting capacity.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 2

Hello from Portland, Oregon!

I'm experimenting using a version of the Load Handler called Haul Master, they really look the same...Haul Master is cheap here, $47.

I like how you solved the problem of material getting stuck behind the wheel wells.

Do you intentionally fold over the end of the tarp over/under your load, as on the photo?

What do you have on the on the bottom of the truck bed, to make it slick?

Much Thanks

1 hour ago, Odaya said:

Hello from Portland, Oregon!

I'm experimenting using a version of the Load Handler called Haul Master, they really look the same...Haul Master is cheap here, $47.

I like how you solved the problem of material getting stuck behind the wheel wells.

Do you intentionally fold over the end of the tarp over/under your load, as on the photo?

What do you have on the on the bottom of the truck bed, to make it slick?

Much Thanks

Hi and welcome.

Yes I fold the sheet over and get some logs or chip on the fold. This stops it pulling out from under the load. First time I used it was on an uphill drive and pulled the sheet out with only about a 1/4 of the logs coming out!

My truck came with a non-slip spray coating on the bed. Regular bed liners would work fine IME but this is an old truck and I could not find one so I bought a sheet of HDPE. Think that stands for High Density Polyethylene. Its brilliant stuff being as tough as old boots and super slippy. Just be careful standing in the tub on icy mornings ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2019 at 10:06, openspaceman said:

Just the job for offsetting your carbon footprint; mix it in the veg plot, it will have a higher mineral content too.

We do use some of the waste on the garden. Cant say it makes much difference to the growing but I guess it locks up a few kg of carbon. Looking at my footprint we would need to make one helava lot of charcoal.

This year instead of burning the waste brash from our hedgerow work we are going to chip and leave it to rot which should delay carbon release for a bit.

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Cant say it makes much difference to the growing but I guess it locks up a few kg of carbon. Looking at my footprint we would need to make one helava lot of charcoal.

Yes the benefits don't live up to the hype in good soils, there is the recycling of minerals though which is making use of the trees mycorrhizal associations to tap deeper strata. It does lock up carbon though for thousands of years and there is no disbenefit. As I recall you have a relatively small carbon footprint.

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

This year instead of burning the waste brash from our hedgerow work we are going to chip and leave it to rot which should delay carbon release for a bit.

Yes probably better than burning  but a relatively short term carbon store. A chap I work for runs an arb business from his farm and has tipped the arisings in a field for the last 25 years, chip, logs and hedge cuttings, if you dig at the  original end of the pile it is lovely looking compost but of course has been steadily emitting carbon dioxide and methane.

I certainly wouldn't advocate  making biochar from everything as returning humus to the soil is important but I do believe it is a more useful route for a lot of the green waste that is currently open composted and then used for landscaping.

• Like 1