lowerable base ties

carlos

I know lots of people talk about the maths involved with base ties but I often wonder in practice if it's the case. If the rope is base tied and spread through some forks I don't know if it would be much more than a top tie
I kind of thought this also. Having recently broken an anchor point in an oak using a srt base tie, I'd say the theory is spot on. I would have 100% trusted the anchor drt. It snapped having climbed the whole tree, but when swinging to another tree it failed.
  • Like 1

I use base ties sometimes but prefer to advance my tip as I ascend the tree. That way I can put it as high as needed. I don't do a lot of srt though and haven't established an absolute favourite system. Dismantling Connies doesn't require srt!

2 hours ago, billpierce said:
5 hours ago, Tommy_B said:
I know lots of people talk about the maths involved with base ties but I often wonder in practice if it's the case. If the rope is base tied and spread through some forks I don't know if it would be much more than a top tie

Read more  

I kind of thought this also. Having recently broken an anchor point in an oak using a srt base tie, I'd say the theory is spot on. I would have 100% trusted the anchor drt. It snapped having climbed the whole tree, but when swinging to another tree it failed.

Do you think it was the lateral force that did it?

Don’t like others near my rope with saws and I don’t like the thought of a large falling branch hitting a taught line, I don’t like the forces envolved on an anchor or the extra rope in the system giving you more bounce .. base tying really for me is only an access thing if I can’t isolate anchor or uncertain of its suitability.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

Do you think it was the lateral force that did it?

Will have been a bad combination of lateral force, base tie, and me pulling the climbers rope so as to swing him over to the tree. Thankfully nobody hurt but a horrible moment as the branch broke and I essentially pulled my pal out of the tree. Hard to say I suppose but I am certain the base tie was a big factor in the anchor failure, but it was also the base anchor which broke his fall somewhat as the rope fell through the tree.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Don’t like others near my rope with saws and I don’t like the thought of a large falling branch hitting a taught line, I don’t like the forces envolved on an anchor or the extra rope in the system giving you more bounce .. base tying really for me is only an access thing if I can’t isolate anchor or uncertain of its suitability.

same here really, somtimes base tie to a different tree out of the way if its just a quick bit of work on the tree.

top tie for me just feels better, safer and easier to use.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Put simply, why would you knowingly add more force than necessary to any system? - be it climbing or rigging!

• Like 1

Put simply, why would you knowingly add more force than necessary to any system? - be it climbing or rigging!

Sadly though as with most things I can see rules for SRT being written in the future and as rescue plays a big part now in risk assessments on sites, maybe enforced as a suitable solution to the grey areas of SRT... I dunno but it to me is more of thing for folk who like playing with ropes who don’t actually do day in and tree work.