lowerable base ties

carlos

Another issue with a base tie, especially if the tree is a bit taller, is the weight of the rope pulling the rope through the the top anchor and you unweight the system.

But as has been said, horses for courses. Sometimes I use one, sometimes I top tie after getting in the canopy. Sometimes I DRT.

In theory we should all work with a qualified rescue climber and a competent ground crew.  Their rescue line should be pre installed and you shouldn’t do anything that puts any of your rescue procedures at risk.  If you can’t knock off a big limb without it dragging down the tree and maybe damaging your line, then don’t do it, if you can’t be trusted not to cut your main line for whatever reason this is not a problem with the rescue system, this is the climbers failing.

If we work outside industry best practice for whatever reasons then we are creating a risk that’s not been factored into the safe practice, so it’s not safe practice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In theory we should all work with a qualified rescue climber and a competent ground crew.  Their rescue line should be pre installed and you shouldn’t do anything that puts any of your rescue procedures at risk.  If you can’t knock off a big limb without it dragging down the tree and maybe damaging your line, then don’t do it, if you can’t be trusted not to cut your main line for whatever reason this is not a problem with the rescue system, this is the climbers failing.
  If we work outside industry best practice for whatever reasons then we are creating a risk that’s not been factored into the safe practice, so it’s not safe practice.

Can I ask where it says we should have a rescue line pre installed? I have never heard of this. I would be interested to know where that comes from. Cheers Jan.

I was told this when I did my rescue ticket by the instructor.

Interesting. Never heard of this from anyone else. I don't think it is in the AA best climbing practice booklet. I did my rigging ticket in Feb and no mention anywhere of having a rescue line installed. I think this is something very few people do or think they should, and it is not even recommended let alone best practice.

What Stephen said [emoji121]️you should always have a rescue climbers line pre installed so that in the event of emergency rescue you can access the tree straight away. Although in reality this rarely happens.
Who says? Steven says an instructor told him, can you show me where is it stated as best practice?

I did my rigging ticket last week, the other guy being assessed went up the tree first to install his TIP, as his rope was not long enough for him to drop down to the ground in one the assessor had us install a second line to allow me to ascend in the event he needed rescuing.

My rope was a little longer and I put my TIP a little lower, that was ok so I did my cutting without a second line in.

Its food for thought though, I've been deadwooding up trees with my 25m rope where I had to drop back down in 3 stages.

Interesting. Never heard of this from anyone else. I don't think it is in the AA best climbing practice booklet. I did my rigging ticket in Feb and no mention anywhere of having a rescue line installed. I think this is something very few people do or think they should, and it is not even recommended let alone best practice.

It will be in the new best practice, it’s been a thing for a while and few of the bigger company’s like it.
  • Like 1