MS260 back from the repair shop... not working

Hank

Damn right I am too busy, not enough hours in the day:scared1:

Why don't you pull the flywheel and clutch off and then see if the crank turns. If it doesn't, any reasonable business would investigate the issue and sort it if it is their issue. It may be that you haven't set the coil gap correctly, easy to do.

Personally, I don't like only doing half the job as this sort of issue can occur and not be your fault but the fault of the owner not setting the machine up as it should be but wouldn't like to say it is one or the other in this case!

3 hours ago, el barto said:

No I'm saying I can't pull the start cord. It's like the piston is locked. By hand you can turn it clockwise and anti-clockwise before it clunks to a stop.  

And it wasn't a whole new piston! They fitted piston rings. It needed a new flywheel because the old one got damaged in a move while all this was happening.

If you can turn it part way either direction it sounds like the bottom of the piston skirt is hitting the crankshaft bob weights at the bottom of the stroke or the big end is jamming on a bit of debris in the crankcase.

Yeah it was a partial rebuild. It was stupid of me really - but I didn't think it'd turn into this whole thing. 

Incidentally I just went back to the shed to have another look after getting annoyed and leaving it for a bit and lo and behold it's back to normal. This leads me to think that something has indeed been left in the case and possibly dislodged after it was left on its side, so that's troubling. But at the moment it fires up as normal.

Spud, the coil gap is set to 0.5mm or thereabouts.

Another thing I'm annoyed about is that it was returned with a torx screw missing. Ffs.