Are air dried logs to be made illegal?

Woodworks

Very worrying this is. So what are tree surgeons etcsupposed to then do with their un split unnseasoned logs at yards? There would be tonnes and tonnes mounting up! 

Sell it to people who chip it for biomass?

everything seems to go the wrong way in this country

15 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Are the boilers used for kilns Defra approved? Only one I have seen in action was belching out dirty smoke

generally stopping everyone burning fence panels, pallets and other rubbish(dirty wood) would be more effective, if the objective was to clean the air, rather than to raise more tax and suck up to big business

3 minutes ago, Craig Johnson said:

generally stopping everyone burning fence panels, pallets and other rubbish(dirty wood) would be more effective, if the objective was to clean the air, rather than to raise more tax and suck up to big business

Already unlawful in most cases. There's little they can do about bonfires or burning in domestic fireplaces so the only recourse is to  control sale of fuel and smoke emission.

I did get approved for supplying wood and for an RHI subsidy for a biomass boiler. However, after reviewing the ongoing paperwork and other ongoing commitments I decided it just wasn’t worth the effort of having a bunch of twats looking over my shoulder. Now I cut and supply only for myself. No subsidies and no hassle.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/08/2018 at 00:09, Matt Fitzpatrick said:

It's a done deal , just seen Therese Coffey on Twitter video saying the goverment is going to phase out the sale of high polluting fuels which includes house coal , high sulphur smokeless briquettes and Wet wood .  So were supposed to be in a period of consultation and yet their putting videos online. Hetas, the stove industry alliance,  CPL, fuel express ,certainly wood ,Whitehorse are all pushing for this .

The ready to burn scheme will  become an industry standard and with that additional costs to small businesses ,annual subscription- audit and maybe a tonnage levy .

Personally I only sell kiln dried imported hardwood logs and will meet the criteria if necessary i will join  the ready to burn scheme to safeguard my business. What they are proposing in the consultation paper is wrong it is not possible to air dry logs consistently to 20% and that needs challenging so I urge you all to complete the consultation paper  online and have your say . Defra will recommend to government and it will become law.

Does this rule apply everywhere in the Uk matt? 

I think I have a solution to the problem.

Westminster produces masses of hot air.

Could we not all take our unseasoned logs to Westminster and ask the government to dry them in the houses of parliament during debates?

Admittedly we would be burning fossil fuels to transport logs there and back, but that would be a carbon offset against kiln drying carbon outputs.

While our logs were drying the politicians and civil servants could come up with legislation to standardise log dimensions.

Dohhhhh! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1