Are air dried logs to be made illegal?

Woodworks

24 minutes ago, carpenter1 said:

I think they should ban kiln dried, as your burning logs to dry, just air dry them, that will save pollution 

Are the boilers used for kilns Defra approved? Only one I have seen in action was belching out dirty smoke

10 hours ago, Stere said:

Also less eco/green than air dried.

Not much benefit for the buyer compared to buying air died logs. (properly sesoned ones).

Unless you store the bought wood in a low humidity eviroment (Say inside ther house) after buying to stop it reabsorbing any moisture.

I would agree that at this time of year there is little to choose MC wise from my air dried products and kiln dried imported products.  But my cord is stored for 2 or 3 years,  then the oversize stuff is billeted for another winter,  then sliced and diced in the spring ready for sale that autumn.  It summers pre sale in vented bags stacked undercover.    While its a few percent damper that wont be noticeable to any normal user.  One major benefit of KD product is that the kiln kills any woodworm/ beetles  etc in the product.    

A

my old supplier before i had my own sources stored his logs at the bottom of a lake. no problem for me i just stored it until it was dry. ok, you need space but he was cheap at least and he did used to stack it in my shelter at no charge ( i always sent my wife out to pay him so he would feel obliged)

Edited by westphalian

Complete the survey right and you could get the government to promote softwood.  My logic:. Softwood dries far quicker so a greater percentage of wood sold would be 'dry' (20% or whatever), so softwood leads to cleaner burning.  I also wonder if the higher voc and hence higher temps/intenser burn might lead to less particulates.... Can't be bothered to do a search but there may be evidence of that.

• Like 2