Norwood Skidwinch ....multi=purpose & looks really good:

1 hour ago, Andrew McEwan said:

Looks handy, could anyone from Norwood say what the winch is rated at?

I haven't seen any ratings for what it can pull - it's £1,150 according to the Norwood UK website.
Yeah I'd like to find out alot more about it. I'll jot an email to them...

cheers, steve

Edited by SteveA
  • Like 1

On 19/08/2018 at 13:05, Andrew McEwan said:

Looks handy, could anyone from Norwood say what the winch is rated at?

Been in touch with Oli and a chap from Norwood.... unfortunately they cant sell the Skid Winch in the UK yet because its not been CE certified; apparently potential for fingers to be trapped in the wire where the capstan is (but I believe no worse than any other forestry winch!).

They sent me a load of info on it and it does look impressive. 
cheers, Steve

2 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

I take it its not designed for pulling trees over??

If u let go of the rope the tension will drop?

Yes I believe that's right. Also important to have the rope feeding onto the capstan fairly square.... so doing a high pull could have issues with the rope slipping off the capstan. It's basically used for extracting trees on the ground.

The pdf says not to pull beyond 10 degrees left or right of the capstan.
Cheers, Steve

5 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Thanks Steve did they say if Norwood are looking at getting it CE approved for me it would be a useful bit of kit

They are looking at getting CE approval, but not for quite a while.... so if you need a winch soon best to look elsewhere (they have lots of other things currently going through the CE Approval so the Skid-Winch is not top priority right now).

I watched a video showing the strength of their bandsaw milling bed.... stacked up horizontally with a huge heap of heavy logs. Tiny amount of deflection in the bed & it sprung back to square after they were removed. Norwood are obviously designing things well so on that basis i reckon the skid-winch will be very popular....
cheers, steve

Edited by SteveA

It will be like most things then depends if it suits ur needs.

I would imagine it not being able to pull trees over will really limit its demand as only really doing half the job.

Also the fact it uses ropes i imagine the working loads aren't that high?

Could be a handy tool for some but quite limited as a serious forestry winch

Horses for courses

• Like 1