Defra clean air strategy

Matt Fitzpatrick

7 minutes ago, neiln said:

.' burning wet wood kills'.  ' if your wood smolders and smokes it's wet, return it to your retailer for a refund and seek a better supply'

Unless of course it was sub 20% when delivered and " you " have left it on the drive in the pissing rain ....

• Like 1

They wont be able to police it! They will take phone calls off wanky dobbing neighbours as someone has previously mentioned on another thread and then they’ll knock on your door about it.
Heres a scenario then...... So for me, i go to my local rip off garage who (which in fairness to them) are only going to stock the driest of driest logs available to them to reduce the come back of purchasers if there is an issue. I take the logs home and burn them, they are bang on 20% mc, old Clarence next door and nosey Rita see the smoke coming from my chimney (the wanky dobbing neighbours) an hour later and Winston Logheimer is knocking on my door...........

The manufacturer, supplier and customer have done everything to the letter and can do no more?...
But Wanky neighbours can see smoke cos its dropping in to a cold frosty night and the atmosphere is going to make my chimney “emissions” look worse than they are, as you all know it will, so i’m braking the law!!!? ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Hows Winston Logheimer going to put me in court room?...... hes not!!! he cant prove nothing. My answer to him is going to be “fuck you Winston Logchops, shut the gate at the end of drive on the way out! [emoji867]

Anyone else see it any different???

• Haha 1

Whether or not you would be able to get away with non compliant logs as a log seller I dont wish to be breaking the law as a matter of course. Much rather have rules that encompasses the natural range of properly air dried logs ie up to 25%. As has been said elsewhere most decent stoves will run perfectly well with logs up to this limit.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ratman said:

They wont be able to police it! They will take phone calls off wanky dobbing neighbours as someone has previously mentioned on another thread and then they’ll knock on your door about it.
Heres a scenario then...... So for me, i go to my local rip off garage who (which in fairness to them) are only going to stock the driest of driest logs available to them to reduce the come back of purchasers if there is an issue. I take the logs home and burn them, they are bang on 20% mc, old Clarence next door and nosey Rita see the smoke coming from my chimney (the wanky dobbing neighbours) an hour later and Winston Logheimer is knocking on my door...........

The manufacturer, supplier and customer have done everything to the letter and can do no more?...
But Wanky neighbours can see smoke cos its dropping in to a cold frosty night and the atmosphere is going to make my chimney “emissions” look worse than they are, as you all know it will, so i’m braking the law!!!? ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Hows Winston Logheimer going to put me in court room?...... hes not!!! he cant prove nothing. My answer to him is going to be “fuck you Winston Logchops, shut the gate at the end of drive on the way out! emoji867.png

Anyone else see it any different???

the wanky neighbours don't see smoke,  they see steam condensing in the cold.  ts white not black/grey

Edited by neiln
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, neiln said:

the wanky neighbours don't see smoke,  they see steam condensing in the cold.  ts white not black/grey

And then in an hours time when matey comes a calling there wont be any smoke/steam coz the stove will be up to temp and burning efficiently .

• Like 1

Thats my point, things will get exaggerated and the innocent ones will pay the price. Was just an invented scenario thats all.

ratman, i know.

stubby, if its cold enough there is steam, its made in efficent burning and eventually the cold air make it condense.  that is the other very easy clue it isn't smoke...  gap/clear coming from the chimney....plume suddenly appears in fresh air a metre or so up.....smoke don't do that!

top down firefighting!  personally i leave th pros to do it as they wish.  As for firelighting,...bottom up is fine just use lots of kindling to get it roaring fast, that's my technique...smoke for 30 seconds if that i reckon.  get the stove and the flue hot fast, get a good draw, get the secondaries going fast...get it all clean.