Defra clean air strategy

Matt Fitzpatrick

I feel like there should be a separate classification for air dried logs if there HAS to be certification.
The fact is, if I log is properly seasoned for enough time and not re-wetted in anyway other than due to humidity in the air. There should be no reason for it not to burn cleanly .

KD wise. If your logs aren’t well under 20%, you are not fully drying them in the correct manner. Ie stoping part way through a drying cycle one the outside is dry or case hardening them due to poor humidity control in your kiln. Our kiln isn’t some engineering marvel by any means but I know all of our logs are sub 20% if not sub 15%.
I don’t need and neither do my very happy customers, some expensive, pointless, paper chase of a certification scheme to tell me they are ready to burn. More over I’m not a crook like some in this business and I’m not happy to sell logs that I wouldn’t use myself!

Instead of paper chase certification scheme which I personally hate. 

Why not make it compulsory that all netted firewood has to show a address of manufacture,

Then any substandard firewood could be traced by trading standards directly back to the producer, 

Another benefit would for the producer would be marketing there own brand . 

Just a thought ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FJMatt said:

Instead of paper chase certification scheme which I personally hate. 

Why not make it compulsory that all netted firewood has to show a address of manufacture,

Then any substandard firewood could be traced by trading standards directly back to the producer, 

Another benefit would for the producer would be marketing there own brand . 

Just a thought ? 

What if the producer netted up kiln dried at sub 20% and dispatched it only for it t take up moisture at the garden center/garage for court or whatever  ? 

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

What if the producer netted up kiln dried at sub 20% and dispatched it only for it t take up moisture at the garden center/garage for court or whatever  ? 

That's quite true Stubby,

But that would be the same even if it was carrying a certification number, 

It does mentioned on the defra consultation paper if it should be the retailers responsibility to ensure that they are kept in the proper conditions 

1 hour ago, FJMatt said:

That's quite true Stubby,

But that would be the same even if it was carrying a certification number, 

It does mentioned on the defra consultation paper if it should be the retailers responsibility to ensure that they are kept in the proper conditions 

Then what would the point of showing the address of the manufacturer ?

The points would 

Be 

1, £300 a year better off due to not having to join a certification scheme 

as well as not having all the paperwork created by any scheme 

2, all those suppliers supplying substandard firewood to sell would be delt with directly by trading standards and delt with according. 

3, all those doing job correctly would have increased sales and with luck higher margins 

• Like 1

On 24/08/2018 at 16:56, SbTVF said:

I feel like there should be a separate classification for air dried logs if there HAS to be certification.
The fact is, if I log is properly seasoned for enough time and not re-wetted in anyway other than due to humidity in the air. There should be no reason for it not to burn cleanly .

KD wise. If your logs aren’t well under 20%, you are not fully drying them in the correct manner. Ie stoping part way through a drying cycle one the outside is dry or case hardening them due to poor humidity control in your kiln. Our kiln isn’t some engineering marvel by any means but I know all of our logs are sub 20% if not sub 15%.
I don’t need and neither do my very happy customers, some expensive, pointless, paper chase of a certification scheme to tell me they are ready to burn. More over I’m not a crook like some in this business and I’m not happy to sell logs that I wouldn’t use myself!

Nor does most of us especially given the cost,  Hetas Woodsure will do very nicely out of it thank you.   BUT I regularly come across 'kiln dried' logs that wont burn,   dry on the outside but wet in the center.      I also have several purveyors of green logs sold as seasoned.   Problem is most of those sellers think the seasoning period starts the minute the tree is felled,  its only once the log has been split can drying commence.  None use moisture meters,  most are £60/£70 a cube for back pocket money.    

A

• Like 1

Nor does most of us especially given the cost,  Hetas Woodsure will do very nicely out of it thank you.   BUT I regularly come across 'kiln dried' logs that wont burn,   dry on the outside but wet in the center.      I also have several purveyors of green logs sold as seasoned.   Problem is most of those sellers think the seasoning period starts the minute the tree is felled,  its only once the log has been split can drying commence.  None use moisture meters,  most are £60/£70 a cube for back pocket money.    

A

Yep come across plenty of kiln dried logs like that round here. Customers soon suss it out though in my experience and look for somewhere better.