Defra clean air strategy

Matt Fitzpatrick

If your right it's back to the furniture making......kin hell. Not going to go down the kilning route and cant guarantee below 20% in a Dartmoor winter regardless of how dry it is in the Autumn. Might of course be ways around this ie sell "part dried below 25% for you to season" 

24 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

If your right it's back to the furniture making......kin hell. Not going to go down the kilning route and cant guarantee below 20% in a Dartmoor winter regardless of how dry it is in the Autumn. Might of course be ways around this ie sell "part dried below 25% for you to season" 

That's a good point, surely they can't ban you from selling it as not ready to burn. A customer can buy a log to process themselves, rings, undried firewood or below 20% firewood. At what point in the process of making it would restrictions come in?

This has come about from bad press stories about high emissions from burning wood that is not dry enough.The thought process is that if they can regulate the sale of logs in smaller volumes under 2m3( loose or hand stacked ???)it would reduce the amount of poorly seasoned Wood being burnt straight away . Here's the wording used in the consultation paper

" Goverment intends to build upon the existing industry led Ready to Burn certification scheme. What this means is that ANYONE wishing to sell firewood in volumes under the specified cut-off will need to apply to the industry's certification agency or equivalent (currently Woodsure). Enforcement will be carried out through the certification agency's audit process complimented by Local authority enforcement through trading standards "

There you go I'm  a member of the BSL scheme which when launched was free now 2 years later we pay £120 +vat a year plus a tonnage fee for every tonne of pellets sold and are subject to audits 

Not sure how this will work out, but times they are a changing.

SOUND

6 hours ago, Matt Fitzpatrick said:

I haven't posted on here for some time but thought you all should know about the consultation process that has now been opened by Defra regarding the government's proposals for the clean air strategy and policy from 2019/20 . So in a nutshell the preferred option is to ban the sale of smokey house coal and  high sulphur smokeless briquettes and introduce new rules on the supply of firewood . My understanding is that they will ban the sale of firewood with a moisture content higher than 20% this would be applcable to nets of logs, bulk bags and loose loads under 2m3. They will legislate to make the new laws enforceable by local authorities and trading standards .Firewood businesses will need to join the ready to burn scheme @ £300 per annum and make available there purchase invoice and sales invoices for audit inspections, similar to the BSL  bullshit scheme . Further investment in kilns will be required if you wish to carry on selling wet firewood.  Happy days just thought I'd cheer up your Sunday morning. 

well from an end user perspective this is good news is it not ?

The Positives:

Cleaner Air.

Better Firewood.

Less pikies selling crap as firewood.

The negatives:

Price of firewood is going up.

or am I missing something ?

Don't get me wrong I'm not against it , but what they are proposing is badly thought out .

The  consultation paper closes  in October and there is a yougov online survey that you can complete , it's important that all interested parties contribute to this as the final proposals will be finalised later this year and then become law.

10 minutes ago, Matt Fitzpatrick said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not against it , but what they are proposing is badly thought out .

The  consultation paper closes  in October and there is a yougov online survey that you can complete , it's important that all interested parties contribute to this as the final proposals will be finalised later this year and then become law.

Yep filled it in.

Two major points firstly as I am always banging on about 20% is too low for those of us in the wetter humid regions of the UK.    Secondly the you can sell wet logs if larger quantities than 2m3. The snag with this is 2m3 of fresh wet logs is around 1 tonne so above the payload of most pickups.

1 hour ago, donnk said:

well from an end user perspective this is good news is it not ?

The Positives:

Cleaner Air.

Better Firewood.

Less pikies selling crap as firewood.

The negatives:

Price of firewood is going up.

or am I missing something ?

That would depend on the councils having the resources and willingness to crack down on the dodgy sellers rather than simply being a pain for those who generally follow the rules.

If any of the Arbtalkers have the powers that be's ear please please please make the standard a bit higher than sub 20%

Air dried hazel that was ready to go last winter and sat on the top of a crate in an open barn all through our best summer in 20 years. If this goes ahead as is our business is screwed

IMG_20180819_183658.jpg