Defra clean air strategy

Matt Fitzpatrick

I haven't posted on here for some time but thought you all should know about the consultation process that has now been opened by Defra regarding the government's proposals for the clean air strategy and policy from 2019/20 . So in a nutshell the preferred option is to ban the sale of smokey house coal and  high sulphur smokeless briquettes and introduce new rules on the supply of firewood . My understanding is that they will ban the sale of firewood with a moisture content higher than 20% this would be applcable to nets of logs, bulk bags and loose loads under 2m3. They will legislate to make the new laws enforceable by local authorities and trading standards .Firewood businesses will need to join the ready to burn scheme @ £300 per annum and make available there purchase invoice and sales invoices for audit inspections, similar to the BSL  bullshit scheme . Further investment in kilns will be required if you wish to carry on selling wet firewood.  Happy days just thought I'd cheer up your Sunday morning. 

If it happens it's great news for me as a supplier of dry wood but I still think it's ridiculous - there's more than enough paperwork in the world as it is and I would rather see a limit of 25% which is achievable to air dry (under cover) in our climate. 

Hopefully it doesn't get through and we see a policy to encourage not regulate responsible wood use instead. 

• Like 1

completely un-policeable - a bureaucratic, ridiculous attempt and more treacle for jobs for the boys councils to wade through. Another kick in the nuts for small rural businesses

Urban areas really aren't affected by fossil burning fuels and most (sensible) rural bods don't burn 'wet wood' and most businesses selling logs that want to stay in businesses don't sell it. Ello ello ello Sir, been chopping wood have we, been splitting? done a bit of stacking? I have to ask you to get this log to carry out a roadside moisture test. It's a red light Sir, 30% moisture, I'm going to have to ask you to accompany me to the station.....FFS....

The problems of asthma and breathing difficulties also lie elsewhere - this includes diet, exercise and general outdoor living for kids.

On a global scale I can't see France, Belgium, Germany and most countries east of that plus USA, Russia, India, Australia and so on packing up mining and burning coal or burning wood anytime soon.

For Christ's sake, UK Gov needs to concentrate on the elephants already in the room that are trampling all over us

The conceltation document can be seen on Defra's web site and you can complete a questionnaire online . The closing date is Friday 12 October 2018 .  This is not bullshit they are going to legislate and this will cost suppliers a fortune for instance you will have to package the products and label them with the ready to burn logo and moisture content. 

In the document they state that they expect 100% Compliance from the coal industry in year one and 40% compliance from firewood producers year one rising to 60% further down the line 

I agree the wet wood ban is great in principle but unenforceable and will add considerably to the cost of wood.  That may be intentional, it will reduce wood use in cities.

Extending smoke control to everywhere?  That then creates a need for a lot of old stoves to be replaced.  Will the government help with that?  My dad tells me there was help to update fires etc when London first got smoke control measures back in the day.  If there isn't help them rural people get a double whammy, buy a new stove and pay more for wood, oouch.