Best poison for grass and weeds?

Al Cormack

Bleach poisonig is a bad dose. Cleaned the inside of a caravan with bleach and water, windows and doors open of course. Couple hours altogether. That evening, I started feeling really weird, headache and terrible nausea and exhaustion, shakes, sweating etc. Had to curl up on the floor for a few hours, and it went away. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, untill I remembered the bleach, googled bleach poisoning, and there you go.

4 hours ago, Billhook said:

I think that you can leave out the word "plenty"

I don't know the facts and figures but according to AHDB winter wheat is the most commonly grown organic cereal in England. Anecdotally I know lots of people who grow them. More than those who don't. Thereby, i include the word 'plenty' as in 'a sufficient amount or quantity'

1 hour ago, LeeGray said:

I don't know the facts and figures but according to AHDB winter wheat is the most commonly grown organic cereal in England. Anecdotally I know lots of people who grow them. More than those who don't. Thereby, i include the word 'plenty' as in 'a sufficient amount or quantity'

Here are some of the facts and figures for the uk

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/614552/organics-statsnotice-18may17.pdf

only about one per cent of organic land is down to cereals and most of that will be Spring sown.  40,000 hectares 

You would be lucky to yield four tons a hectare so 160,000 tons at most compared to sixteen million tons of conventional

You have over seventy million mouths to feed

A perfect storm is brewing.  Too much land taken up with housing and roads and energy crops

Average age of a farmer is about sixty and most of those cannot wait to retire,  few sons are interested 

Glyphoshate ban would be the straw to break the camel's back

• Like 1

I agree with the perfect storm brewing but in a different sense I think. Hopefully those who can’t wait to retire will do so soon. There sons or daughters if not interested will do something else and not carry on the same practice that dad always used to and farms can be made available to more forward thinking, progressive farmers who can survive without subsidy producing ‘plenty’ of good, healthy food in a wholistic, efficient way.

5 hours ago, LeeGray said:

I agree with the perfect storm brewing but in a different sense I think. Hopefully those who can’t wait to retire will do so soon. There sons or daughters if not interested will do something else and not carry on the same practice that dad always used to and farms can be made available to more forward thinking, progressive farmers who can survive without subsidy producing ‘plenty’ of good, healthy food in a wholistic, efficient way.

Cloud cuckoo land I am afraid.

Many farmers are hardly making a living with a subsidy.

it would be great if everyone lived in wooden houses with a turf roof and we sawed the timber by hand with no noisy chainsaws and their fossil fuels.  Make all our own furniture, grow our own vegetables, abandon cars.

one of the ways that an organic farmer can exist is because  the farm is usually surrounded by conventional farms which insulate the organic farm from diseases, weed seeds and pests.

You have never seen a field of potatoes wiped out by blight, (see Irish potato famine) or a field of wheat wiped out by cozvered smut or choked by weeds

Tom Lehrer had the great line which would apply to the organic farmer in the cases mentioned

" You begin to feel like a Christian Scientist with appendicitis "!

Edited by Billhook
Spelling

49 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Cloud cuckoo land I am afraid.

Many farmers are hardly making a living with a subsidy.

it would be great if everyone lived in wooden houses with a turf roof and we sawed the timber by hand with no noisy chainsaws and their fossil fuels.  Make all our own furniture, grow our own vegetables, abandon cars.

one of the ways that an organic farmer can exist is because  the farm is usually surrounded by conventional farms which insulate the organic farm from diseases, weed seeds and pests.

You have never seen a field of potatoes wiped out by blight, (see Irish potato famine) or a died of wheat wiped out by covered smut or choked by weeds

Tom Lehrer had the great line which would apply to the organic farmer in the cases mentioned

" You begin to feel like a Christian Scientist with appendicitis "!

you are absolutely correct..i have never seen a field of potatoes wiped out by blight or a field of wheat wiped out by weeds.

Wouldn't mind the timber house with a turf roof, growing my own veg and making furniture but don't fancy abandoning the car and chainsaw though :)

• Like 1