Nptc chainsaw refresher training query

forest tink

14 hours ago, Stuart Phillips said:

Couple of thoughts.  Construction tends to be static.  Its much easier , and more reasonable to provide facilities on a site where folk are going to be based for quite a while.

And, Health Safety and Welfare requirements tend to have a wonderful clause added into them which says, "as far as reasonably practicable". 

I will be seeing one of our friendly HSE inspectors in a week or so, and I will see what he knows about it.... if anything.

hi been working with a HSE guy for last 2 days and this has cropped up in conversation and his answer was, That if the FC  bring it in, all the other major forestry companies like Tilhill, Euroforest etc will follow , 

I think sadly it is only a matter of time, esp with the commission so many desk jockeys with nothing to do but create paper work to keep themselves in jobs.

Gives job creation an entirely different meaning.

I'd imgine it will come throu in tenders/method statements that u have to provide it, wether all foresters even in the FC really enforce it might be a different story, with smaller forestry companies it will be far easier to turn a blind eye and not enforce it.

Can't ever see it finding its way into private estates, i know 1 forester who still managerd to bend the rules for his main hard wood cutter to go on with absolutley no PPE or training (but still the best cutter in my area)

Wether it actually effects anyone, god knows? Even big clearfell sites often only have 2 machines working so might come below needig  facilities (and often boys live on site in caravans) or main contractors leave a battered caravan on site for show.

Even a worse case scenerio if ur a squad of cutters that should have a toilet, u buy a cheap 1 on ebay and leave it on an old trailer on site, no one would ever cjhoose to use it but u've ticked the box

Can't see it ever affected arb squads, very worst case scenerio u put a clause in contract u can use the householders bog, again ticks the box even if never used.

On 23/08/2018 at 15:09, drinksloe said:

I think sadly it is only a matter of time, esp with the commission so many desk jockeys with nothing to do but create paper work to keep themselves in jobs.

Gives job creation an entirely different meaning.

I'd imgine it will come throu in tenders/method statements that u have to provide it, wether all foresters even in the FC really enforce it might be a different story, with smaller forestry companies it will be far easier to turn a blind eye and not enforce it.

Can't ever see it finding its way into private estates, i know 1 forester who still managerd to bend the rules for his main hard wood cutter to go on with absolutley no PPE or training (but still the best cutter in my area)

Wether it actually effects anyone, god knows? Even big clearfell sites often only have 2 machines working so might come below needig  facilities (and often boys live on site in caravans) or main contractors leave a battered caravan on site for show.

Even a worse case scenerio if ur a squad of cutters that should have a toilet, u buy a cheap 1 on ebay and leave it on an old trailer on site, no one would ever cjhoose to use it but u've ticked the box

Can't see it ever affected arb squads, very worst case scenerio u put a clause in contract u can use the householders bog, again ticks the box even if never used.

yes i agree with alot of the above, estates no, small harvesting crews like myself no, but the big harvesting crews will have to have it and one harvesting crew i spoke to said they would put a partition in the back of sprinter van fit old elec shower and shower tray wont be piped or wired up but its there and they have hot n cold water plus toilet in caravan, and harvester driver came up with some good info and that was as the FC management team is getting smaller there seems to be more decisions being made alot quicker than befor.

On 19/08/2018 at 08:11, Stubby said:

This .

A return to the old days where people learned on the job from experienced mentors, then took their assessments when they were ready, that would be nice.

Rather than a steady influx of people who have no place being in the industry yet have all the tickets to apparently say they are able.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...