Transplants

ABtrees

I have an entirely self-set tree nursery containing a lot (maybe 200+) of predominantly Oak and Hornbeam but with a few 'others' (Walnut, Hazel Ash).  They are obviously way too close together so I have the idea that I'll move some around a bit !  I've never done anything like this so I'm going to need all the advice I can get. 

I'm guessing the best time to move is Autumn (lower water requirement and lots of rain) but when is too early and when is too late ?

How much earth to take ? Is there a metric between tree height and size of root ball and (I guess) is it species dependant? 

Some of them are quite big (see photos) - and therefore presumably their roots will be entwined - what is the best option : disentangle them and lose the soil surrounding or just pick a big enough (?) root ball and chop through anything outside that !

How do I 'prep' the new site or is it dig a hole and chuck it in and just infill ?

And finally if (as I am sure someone on here has already done this) what are my chances of success (survival rates) ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

AB

20180704_150807.1.jpg

20180704_150940.jpg

20180704_150946.jpg

Edited by ABtrees

Late autumn through winter is good. Wait till ground is damp. Trees are too large for a T type replant so dig a hole to suit size of each tree. You may have issues disentangling roots from adjacent trees. Some root cutting will be unavoidable. Get those slower growing walnut trees out this winter before they get swamped[emoji1303]

Might be easier running a mole through the trees to lift them. Soak before replant and not while its frosty.

• Thanks 1