Reduction Pruning

RC0

Cant get away from them, it seems. I was 46 on Friday....never thought Id still be scrabbling out to the ends of branches. Its all work I suppose. And I need the money.

Gary oaks are native to the region. Similar to English oak, but seemingly weaker, and generally a more gradual taper on the limbs. This tree shed a big one a couple weeks back. Summer limb drop. So I was asked to come in and do some reduction work. Nothing major.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Steve, you must have been using the wrong tools.  Reductions much easier with pole tools.  Smaller cuts, more benefits retained, less strain on the climber.

Reg, I like that quiet chainsaw sound.  I use an MS160.  For nothing major, that is a lot coming off.  20%?  40%?

And what are those things on your feet?  They look familiar.

How do you work that one out?

Using pole tools in a tree is a royal pain in the arse.  Difficult to get accurate pruning cuts.  Cumbersome to carry around and move.  Not to mention the added stress on upper back and shoulders.  

Not for me thanks.  I will occasionally use a pole saw for deadwooding large trees but I find the saw useful but the rest of it is a ball ache.  See the previous point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, treeseer said:

Steve, you must have been using the wrong tools.  Reductions much easier with pole tools.  Smaller cuts, more benefits retained, less strain on the climber.

Reg, I like that quiet chainsaw sound.  I use an MS160.  For nothing major, that is a lot coming off.  20%?  40%?

And what are those things on your feet?  They look familiar.

Theres rarely that many reductions done in this country that don't require cutting and holding to some extent.  Poles aren't much use in those scenarios.  Plus you can rarely get in position to do perfect angled cuts, even with a rotating lopped head attachment.

17 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

something with a lopper head movable through 90 degrees that doesn't need a hydraulic hose to power it, or just be happy with internodal cuts

I know mate I have the sort you mean.  

still a pain in the arse the get the correct cuts...  not to mention the movement within the canopy whilst carrying such tool.

on the occasional cut then yes...  but if I had to reduce trees everyday with them I would be a shit climber and have given up years ago.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

I know mate I have the sort you mean.  

still a pain in the arse the get the correct cuts...  not to mention the movement within the canopy whilst carrying such tool.

on the occasional cut then yes...  but if I had to reduce trees everyday with them I would be a shit climber and have given up years ago.

When I first started I was shown how to use a pole for deadwooding.  Its all we used.  It was a major faff and I hated climbing round the canopy with it.  Then one day I watched a very experienced climber do a whole tree with just his pruning saw.  It was quite inspirational and I quickly decided to ditch the pole.  It transformed my climbing abilities for sure and have never used a pole since.

• Like 4