Best splitting axe?

Stumpy Grinder

So........ I already have a Fiskars X27 which is a dream to use, but my attention has now been drawn to a Gransfors Bruks splitting axe which looks very nice and traditional, although considerably more expensive. Has anyone used both and can give comparison? I don't mind paying more and would happily own both as I like nice things! Which is best and why?

SG

7 hours ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

So........ I already have a Fiskars X27 which is a dream to use, but my attention has now been drawn to a Gransfors Bruks splitting axe which looks very nice and traditional, although considerably more expensive. Has anyone used both and can give comparison? I don't mind paying more and would happily own both as I like nice things! Which is best and why?

SG

Sorry, had to comment...I have the X27 and it is perfect and so why would you change or get another axe??? unless you need two, of course!

Then ...Woodworks is absolutely correct..

15 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Mate of mine has the Gransfors and I have the Fiskers. He had a go with the Fiskers and thought it the better tool. Only one of them could be displayed in the sitting room as a work of art though haha

For "Display" reasons the Gransfors is by far the more attractive (? ?) axe.

Bob

gransfors splitting axe is a lovely bit of kit,had one for four years, really well made, takes and keeps an edge i have however always found the shaft a little on the short side for long periods of splitting even using a high block, im 6 foot 2.

Fiskars x27 a bit longer in shaft and really comfortable for extended use for me over two years.

All used less now since arrival of rock machinery 35t splitter.

its really what suits each persons physique,style and material to be split.

40 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I don't think you'll notice much difference in performance. They are both excellent.

Why not buy the Gransfors maul instead to cover a few more bases?

You can never have too many axes.

This. I have x27, its brilliant. I also have Gransfors Splitting axe, and would love their maul. I've also got the husqy splitting maul, the orange handled (dunno what its called) husky splitting axe which i use for banging in wedges, and the Helko Vario 2000 which is a massive beast but good for stubborn logs.